Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
douglas1942
New Contributor

How to set BGP community attribute to BGP learned routes

Hello, I want to identify all BGP learned routes on a Fortigate and then apply a BGP Community attribute to them.

I am using an inbound route-map on the BGP peer for this purpose, however it does seem to work.

Is this the correct way to do this ?

config router route-map
edit "HG_CORP_ROUTE_MAP_IN"
config rule
edit 10
set match-origin egp***matching all learned incoming BGP routes
set set-community "7714:65100"***setting the community

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

You still need to apply the route-map to each neighbor. Then if you want to set a specific community to all routes from the neighbor, I wouldn't bother matching anything but just apply the community. Then for other neighbors you might want to apply different communities. Otherwise, what's the purpose of applying a community?

They would be useful only when the FGT advertises those community-attached routes to other neighboring routing devices, or other VDOMs because communities are preserved when the routes are forwarded until removed/overwritten by a router on the path.

Or further, I would attach the community on the advertising router side when it advertises them to the FGT, which would be simpler.

Toshi

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

You still need to apply the route-map to each neighbor. Then if you want to set a specific community to all routes from the neighbor, I wouldn't bother matching anything but just apply the community. Then for other neighbors you might want to apply different communities. Otherwise, what's the purpose of applying a community?

They would be useful only when the FGT advertises those community-attached routes to other neighboring routing devices, or other VDOMs because communities are preserved when the routes are forwarded until removed/overwritten by a router on the path.

Or further, I would attach the community on the advertising router side when it advertises them to the FGT, which would be simpler.

Toshi

akristof
Staff
Staff

Hello,

The route-map looks OK except the part that you are matching origin. That is not needed as you need to apply this route-map on neighbor on incoming direction. So all the routes will pass it automatically. But still, I would remove that origin criteria. Of course, after any change related to BGP, soft-clear the neighbor:

exec router clear bgp ip x.x.x.x soft

Then you can verify if the network received has community set:

get router info bgp network X.X.X.X/X

Adrian
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors