Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kraze
New Contributor

How to add static route through L2TP/IPSec into a Mikrotik subnet?

Hello. Current situation:

Fortiage FG60E (192.168.0.1) is a Windows-like L2TP/IPSec VPN server (interface name is "localVPN") to which all remote clients connect as well as providing an access to local physical clients.

VPN address for FG60E is 192.168.100.130

Currently Mikrotik hEX (192.168.10.1) is connected to it remotely through VPN and has a 192.168.100.131 address. On Mikrotik I've added a static route which leads into 192.168.0.0/24 through 192.168.100.130 and it works well, all local hardware to Fortigate is available to everything remote behind Mikrotik through its 192.168.0.0 range.

However I also want remote hardware behind Mikrotik (on a 192.168.10.0 network) being accessible by local computers in the main 192.168.0.0 network

However when adding a static route on Fortigate it isn't possible to just set it as "192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0" through "192.168.100.131" because FortiOS says there's no such gateway available - and the only other option is to set "192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0" route through the above-mentioned "localVPN" interface - however it doesn't seem to work.

Is there any other way to do it?

10 REPLIES 10
oliverthom707
New Contributor

I also want remote hardware behind Mikrotik (on a 192.168.10.0 network) being accessible by local computers in the main 192.168.0.0 network

evince

Hello, same problem for me, is there any solution please?

Thank you in advance,

sw2090
Honored Contributor

just use the vpn interface as gateway interface and don't enter any gateway ip address.

Then this route will make all traffic that goes to the subnet behind mikrotik go through your vpn.

Then the Mikrotek will have to take care for further routing AND reverse path.

Also don't forget about the neccessary policies to allow the trafic to flow :)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
evince
New Contributor

Hello sw2090,

Thank you for your response. I need to add an ip instead of gateway interface as i have many l2tp tunnels.

So for me 10.30.15.0/24 should be routed through 10.10.10.2 and 192.168.199.0/24 should be routed through 10.10.10.3. Policies have been created dynamicaly.

thank you for your help

sw2090
Honored Contributor

I don't currently use L2TP but I have various IPSec Tunnels and I just use the tunel interface for routing and do not enter any gateway ip. Works fine here.

Usally every single IPSec is threated as an interface on a FGT. I think it may be the same for L2TP.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
evince
New Contributor

Unfortunately Fortigate creates an unique interrface for the L2TP server, so i need to choose the correct gateway address. I'll open a ticket on fortinet portal.

Thank you for your help :)

sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm didn't know that. I only had one l2tp on my FGT ever.

Or ist just like ipsec dial in tunnels? Those also have one tunne interface into which you dial in.

There is only on runtine an interface for the concurrent connections.

In this case I'd run into the same problem.

-- 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I highly doubt you can do what your trying. L2TP over ipsec is for a "user dialup", why don't you just use a pure ipsec-tunnel and set a interface address and defined static routes?

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
evince
New Contributor

Hello emnoc. I already have an ipsec tunnel, but the Internet line is currently down. So im trying to establish another tunnel through 4G modem, and with this solution i cannot establish an ipsec tunnel :(

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors