Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ASR
New Contributor

How does intra-switch-policy explicit work?

Hi all, I'm experiencing some issues with a software switch configuration.

To elaborate, I have two sets of interfaces (configured as 802.3ad Aggregate) named INT1 and INT2, both as members of a software switch.

The software switch has the option of Intra-switch policy Explicit enabled.

Within the software switch, I have defined a VLAN (100). However, when attempting to ping from a PC on VLAN 100 connected to INT1 to another PC on VLAN 100 connected to INT2, the connection doesn't work.

I'm aware of the need to specify a policy to permit traffic between the PCs, but every kind of test I have made has yielded no result.

Does anyone have any ideas on how the policy should be set?

Thank you,

8 REPLIES 8
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @ASR ,

If you want to clients communicate with each other in the same vlan. You need to change intra-switch policy from explicit to implicit. In your configuration (explicit) you need to configure firewall policy like a src vlan100 dst vlan100 for allowing intra-vlan traffic. 

You can find more information about the intra-switch policy in this link.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Software-switch-policy/ta-p/198381

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
ASR
New Contributor

Hi Ozkanaltas, thank you for your suggestion.

I've already added a policy from VLAN100 to VLAN100 with no restrictions on source, destination, and service, but it's not working.

Is there something else I need to do to enable this kind of traffic?

Thanks,

ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hi @ASR ,

Which do you prefer using the scenario? All traffic is allowed by the switch or you want to create a policy for this traffic.

If you want all traffic allowed in the switch, you can change your switch-intra policy from explicit to implicit.

set intra-switch-policy implicit

For the second scenario, can you run a traffic sniffer on CLI? After that can you try to reach from one client to another client?  Also, can you share output with us? 

diagnose sniffer packet any 'host x.x.x.x and host x.x.x.x' 4 a (You need to change x.x.x.x to the client IP address)

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @ASR,

Are those 802.3ad Aggregate interfaces connected to FortiSwitches? You need to run packet sniffer to make sure traffic is reaching the FortiGate.

Regards, 

ASR
New Contributor

Hi @hbac, yes, we have two 802.3ad aggregate interfaces as members of the software switch. VLANs are defined within the software switch.

@ozkanaltas The strange thing is, I don't see any traffic (whether permitted or denied) from the two hosts behind the aggregate ports.

On which interface should I expect to view traffic? VLAN level, software switch level, or interface aggregate level?

Thank you

hbac

@ASR,

Since traffic is going to the same subnet, the switch will not forward it to the default gateway by default. Are you using FortiSwitch? 

Regards, 

ASR
New Contributor

No, it's configured on a Fortigate 400F, and behind the aggregate interfaces are Cisco switches.

It's set up with two trunk interfaces that are 802.3ad aggregates and members of a software switch. In a single stack configuration, it should resemble the following:

400.PNG

However with explicit configuration, I can't see any packets being transmitted between PC1 and PC2, and vice versa.

Regards,

ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @ASR ,

I think the problem is in the aggregate configuration.

Why did you need the aggregate configuration? I think you don't need aggregate configuration on Fortigate. Anyway, software switching will use the relevant cables as if they were a single cable.

Did you configure aggregate configuration on Switch also? If you don't, aggregate not work with one side configuration.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors