Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
polarpanda
New Contributor II

Hairpin NAT vs No NAT

Hi,

I have a question about hairpin NAT. When doing hairpin between two interfaces of FGT, do I have to create/use public VIP for the source and destination? I found out it works without NAT as well. What type of specific case do I have to use NAT? Thank you.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

The hairpin VIP is desirable when a laptop/mobile user wants to use the same public IP (NAT outside IP) even when moved into the office and connected internally as well as accessing it from the internet.

Toshi.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

The hairpin VIP is desirable when a laptop/mobile user wants to use the same public IP (NAT outside IP) even when moved into the office and connected internally as well as accessing it from the internet.

Toshi.

polarpanda
New Contributor II

Could be security reason as well? For example, we don't want the source user to know the destination private IP?

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

For internal IPs, if you're a hacker, there are many ways to figure out what they're like by scanning the ports. The problem is the hacker got inside.
But yes, you can block direct access if you want for security reasons.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors