Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
amaroth
New Contributor

Hair-pinning on WAN ?

Hi,

On any recipies I can see that when hair-pinning (NAT reflection, U-turn NAT) is needed the Virtual IP interface must be set to ANY.

Is it only option ?

Or is it possible to set up hair-pinning when Virtual IP has interface set to WAN ?

Also is it possible to change the interface for Virtual IP after it is configured ? Because now I see when I click edit, I have the interface field not accessible anymore (it is like greyed out).

Regards, Jacek

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

"hair-pin" regularly means the access is coming from inside like internal interface and hits the outside IP of the VIP then comes back to the same inside interface. If you set the incoming interface to specifically WAN for the VIP, FGT looks for matching traffic only coming from WAN interface.

I think you have to remove the policy, which is using the VIP, in order to make those changes on the ViP.

Ashik_Sheik
Contributor II

No you have to remove the VIP references and then you can edit the interface .

If you attach WAN interface to VIP then U-Turn Policy is not possible .

Ashu 

Ashu
amaroth

OK so I did it, yes I needed remove policy and then I was able to change interface.

However the U-turn NAT doesn't work.

Virtual IP is a standard static NAT.

Then I have Policy which allow specific geoIPs access this service from outside. Note the 172.16.72.10 is an IP in ZONE-INSIDE

Also I have general rule that between subnets in ZONE-INSIDE http/https traffic is allowed.

For internal traffic between networks I have such a Central SNAT rule.

And still I can't access this public IP from other internal IPs, for example I have network 172.16.53.0, which belong to ZONE-INSIDE, and it cannot access this public IP.

ddskier

I believe you can get Hair-pin to work using the "set match-vip enable" on the policy.

-DDSkier FCNSA, FCNSP FortiGate 400D, (2) 200D, (12) 100D, (2) 60D

-DDSkier FCNSA, FCNSP FortiGate 400D, (2) 200D, (12) 100D, (2) 60D
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors