Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ble
New Contributor II

HA-Setup in GCP

Hello,

I am currently working on setting up a Fortigate HA cluster in the GCP. Our setup currently looks like this:

Both Fortigates have four interfaces. Two are external and internal interfaces, one is for management and a third one is for HA sync. The original idea was to deploy the Fortigate as described at https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate-public-cloud/7.4.0/gcp-administration-guide/194181/crea... but instead of using a TCP forwarding rule we wanted to use a L3_DEFAULT forwarding rule, since we also want protocols such as ICMP to be forwarded through the firewall. Now the problem is that a load balancer whose forwarding rule uses the L3_DEFAULT protocol cannot be the next hop for a static route. As a result, we cannot use a load balancer with an L3_DEFAULT forwarding rule.

For this reason I am now trying to resort to the SDN connector. Similar to the instructions at https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate-public-cloud/7.4.0/gcp-administration-guide/986123/depl... I have set up the connector as follows:

config system sdn-connector
    edit "gcp"
        set type gcp
        set ha-status enable
        config route
            edit "route-to-fw"
            next
        end
        set update-interval 30
    next
end

When debugging the SDN connector I now see output like the following after having called diagnose debug enable and diagnose debug application gcpd -1 . The problem is that I don't see which APIs the SDN connector calls. I only see the replies, which makes it hard for me to debug.

In HA primary state
get nics info for instance vm-fw-primary
gcpd api result: 403

{
  "error": {
    "code": 403,
    "message": "Required 'compute.instances.get' permission for 'projects/myproject/zones/europe-west3-a/instances/vm-fw-primary'",
    "errors": [
      {
        "message": "Required 'compute.instances.get' permission for 'projects/myproject/zones/europe-west3-a/instances/vm-fw-primary'",
        "domain": "global",
        "reason": "forbidden"
      }
    ]
  }
}

api url: https://www.googleapis.com/compute/v1/projects/myproject/zones/europe-west3-a/instances/vm-fw-primary
{
      {
      }
    ]
  }
}

gcpd sdn connector gcp prepare to update
gcpd sdn connector gcp start updating
gcpd sdn connector gcp got empty project list, trying sdn update from metadata project: myproject
gcpd api result: 403

{
    "message": "Required 'compute.zones.list' permission for 'projects/myproject'",
      {
        "message": "Required 'compute.zones.list' permission for 'projects/myproject'",
      }
    ]
  }
}

gcpd sdn connector gcp get zones list failed
gcpd reap child pid: 6805

Therefore I have three questions:

1. Is there any other solution that allows all L4 (not only TCP and UDP) protocols to be passed through the cluster without using the SDN connector?

2. Is there any way to obtain more verbose output from the SDN connector? I would like to see which URL it calls, so I can further debug why the permission error occurs. (I performed a packet capture on the Fortigate, but the SDN connector seems to switch to HTTPS at some point.) I need this to see if there is a configuration error on my side, whether our organizational policy is somehow too strict or whether it has a different cause.

3. How does the Fortigate determine the internal IP address to use when updating the route? I understand that in the description at https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate-public-cloud/7.4.0/gcp-administration-guide/986123/depl... the route that is supposed to be updated in a failover event is configured through setting the route name to protected-private-rt. Does the FortiGate determine the internal IP address automatically somehow, e.g. by looking at the route and comparing it to the interface IP addresses of the HA peer or something similar?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

ble

1 REPLY 1
spoojary
Staff
Staff

1. **Alternative Solutions**:
- Consider manual failover; simpler but slower.
- Use cloud automation tools like Terraform or scripts to adjust routes based on health checks.

2. **Verbose Output for SDN Connector**:
- Your `403 Forbidden` error indicates a permissions issue. Ensure the FortiGate's associated service account in GCP has the required permissions.
- For more detailed logging, contacting Fortinet support might be necessary.
- The SDN connector uses HTTPS, making content inspection tricky, but the accessed URL is usually in the debug log.

3. **Determination of Internal IP for Route Update**:
- FortiGate uses automated logic to determine which IP to use during route updates in HA scenarios.
- In HA, the active unit typically uses its own internal interface IP for updating routes when taking over as primary.
- The reference to `protected-private-rt` helps FortiGate identify the route to adjust during failover.

Siddhanth Poojary
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors