Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
F_Mehmood
New Contributor

Forward error correction (FEC) in fortigate VPN setup

Hello, all

As I am preparing for the new FCP exam and going through the material about IPSEC VPN and found the option of the FEC. This is on the version 7.2.x.
Can anybody explain the purpose of this, where to use and what does the noisy links means at the expense of using more bandwidth and the use case for the ingress and egress.

The screenshot is also attached for the reference.

Capture.PNG

1 Solution
ebilcari

Similar technique exist on different vendors but I don't think they are compatible, as I know there is no standard to comply with.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

You can read more about this feature here or in the Study guide. A simple explanation is in analogy with RAID 5 in Storage. Redundant packets are sent and used to help reconstruct any lost or corrupted packets. Since the total number of sent packets is higher than before, more bandwidth is used but it improves the reliability and deliver a better user experience especially for Voice and Video applications.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
F_Mehmood
New Contributor

Does it require both ends to be Fortigate?

ebilcari

Similar technique exist on different vendors but I don't think they are compatible, as I know there is no standard to comply with.

- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors