Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Hajo2024
New Contributor II

Fortinet WLAN

Moin,

I have a question about managing Fortinet APs in a network. Are these managed purely locally on-premise or via the cloud?
The point is that the WLAN network should be administered purely via local administration.

What is needed to be able to manage the WLAN purely locally if it is possible to use purely local management without a connection to the cloud.

I would be happy if you could help me quickly.

Best regards
7 REPLIES 7
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @Hajo2024 ,

You can manage FortiAP's standalone mode or you can manage with FortiGate. FortiGate can act as a local wireless controller. If you use FortiGate, you don't need to a cloud connection to manage AP's.

German: 

Sie können den Standalone-Modus von FortiAP oder FortiGate verwalten. FortiGate kann als lokaler drahtloser Controller fungieren. Wenn Sie FortiGate verwenden, benötigen Sie keine Cloud-Verbindung, um APs zu verwalten.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
Hajo2024
New Contributor II

Hallo @ozkanaltas ,

So that means that a FortiGate is required in order to be able to manage the APs locally?

ozkanaltas

Hello @Hajo2024 ,

Yes you are right. 

Ja, du hast recht.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
Hajo2024
New Contributor II

Hi,

i hope you understand my english :) I try it via Google-Translater :)

I have another question about local administration. Is this possible via a Fortinet Manager that is installed as a virtual machine and is it still possible without a cloud connection being necessary or used?

I learned that a Fortinet Manager is supposed to run in the network for 10 devices. Would an additional device license be required for each AP in order to be able to manage the AP centrally?

ozkanaltas

Hi @Hajo2024 ,

No problem for me :) I understand your question.

You can't manage FortiAPs directly with FortiManager. Everytime, you need to FortiGate to manage FortiAP.

The AP Manager pane allows you to manage FortiAP access points that are controlled by FortiGate devices and are managed by FortiManager. You can use AP Manager for the following modes of management:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimanager/7.4.2/administration-guide/493277/managed-fortiaps

If you don't want to buy FortiGate hardware you can buy VM version of FortiGate. You can control with a small VM01 license up to 32 AP.

You can find more information about VM licenses on that link.

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/fortigate-vm.pdf

Hajo2024
New Contributor II

Hi @ozkanaltas ,

the FortiGate are the Firewalls of Fortnet or?

So if the FortiGate are the firewalls and you can administer them with the Forti Manager, what about managing them? Do the APs connect to a FortiGate and are managed from there or how should I imagine that?
Sorry that I have so many questions, but the point is that I'm collecting information for my boss and he should make a statement about the extent to which the FortiAP is managed centrally.
This is supposed to be done via the FortiGate, but are all APs administered via a firewall or can you split it up and still move around in the WLAN without any loss.

[Edit]

I just saw the following:

Register        Register the selected FortiAP device to your FortiCloud account.         

Does that mean I only can register a AP to the Cloud?

ozkanaltas

Hi @Hajo2024 ,

Yes, Fortigate is a Firewall of Fortinet. 

You can manage FortiAPs with FortiGate. FortiGate can act like a Wireless Controller. FortiGate has a user interface for managing FortiAPs. You can see it on this link.

For example, if you have more than one Fortigates, you can use FortiManager for a single management panel. This FortiManager can manage all distributed FortiGate and APs connected to Fortigate. 

But if you have just one location or one firewall. You do not need to FortiManager. You can manage all settings from Fortigate GUI including the FortiAP setting. 

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiap/7.4.2/fortiwifi-and-fortiap-configuration-guide/977141/ge...

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiap/7.4.2/fortiwifi-and-fortiap-configuration-guide/931785/ac...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors