Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ziegenpeter
New Contributor II

Fortinet Partner refuses to transfer device they don't own

Hello All,

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this but we have acquired a Fortigate device with current subscription, together with other assets, from a foreign business. The Fortigate device is registered to a large Fortigate Partner in that country, apparently they managed the firewall on behalf of their (former) client. I contacted them to to ask to release it from their account so ownership can be transferred to us, and their response was that they only serve their customers and we're not customers so they won't lift a finger (even though I offered to pay for the service). 

I also raised a transfer request with Fortinet CS, and they refused the transfer as the same Fortinet partner told them not to because "they didn't sell the device abroad" (of course they didn't, it was never theirs to begin with!). 

I have to say I'm a shocked that a Fortinet partner thinks its OK if they hang on to a device they don't legally own, but also that Fortinet CS pretty much just takes the partner's word despite having been provided with proof of ownership. 

Any advice of what to do next? I don't suppose a local Fortinet partner would have a way to get the device transferred?

3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

We already do such operation by sending e-mail to Fortinet CS, but they need validation of the original owner in order to complete the operation. As far as I remember they send him the request via email and they wait for his validation.

So I think you need to escalate your request to someone more responsible from the owning company to ask for help with this validation. I don't think there could be other solution.

AEK
AEK
Ziegenpeter
New Contributor II

I already tried through our intermediary in that country but the Fortinet Partner wouldn't budge. I guess they see it as not their problem. 

The really frustrating bit, though, is the apathy of Fortinet CS. What's the point of asking me for proof of ownership when it's all decided solely by the previous registrant and legal ownership is ignored anyways? If I can prove ownership, other than a device being reported as stolen (which would have a police record), what grounds could the existing registrant have to refuse transfer? This is a flawed process. The default should be to ask for proof of ownership and, once received, if the device isn't reported as stolen the current owner is notified. And, unless they can make a valid claim (supported by proof) as to why the transfer should be refused, the transfer should go ahead. 

The fact that this block comes from an approved Fortinet partner makes this even more concerning. 

Toshi_Esumi

At least Cisco has similar policy needed a proof of possession because they work without licenses as well. If FGT doesn't work without licenses like Palo Alto (at least practically), they wouldn't need the proof because you can't get the duplicate license while privious owner has it.

One thing FTNT's policy different from Cisco about "transfer" is FTNT wouldn't do transfer if the previous registered owner doesn't release the registration for whatever the reason is. Cisco does allow the transfer if you provide the proof of possession.

I tried and failed because of this about 10 years ago. They didn't seem to have re-considered the policy so far.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors