Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NeoRant
New Contributor III

Fortimail False positives

Hi Guys, 

I am grateful for this community, some great teachers here, I am learning alot about Fortimail and have done some good work so far.

I have now fully integrated my fortimail in the DMZ, the fortigate fwl, getting smtp traffic, inspection of smtp traffic actually WORKING, thank God.

However, one problem lol. ALOT of false positives and people are squealing. I used the full inspection rules instructed by guide below - antispam, antivirus, content etc and I tell you mails are being inspected hard.

https://ebin.pub/fortinet-fortimail-lab-guide-for-fortimail-72.html

Can anyone here post me a good setup for traffic inspection (not so robust/sensitive)?

I am currently using the recipient policy as that is what was selected by my team. I was the one that configured the fortimail from scratch and deployed it(with the help/knowledge of you guys of course).

1 Solution
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Additionally regarding your false positives, usually it is due to a hard AntiSpam profile, so I'm sharing here an AS profile that I usually setup as the main inbound profile.

as1.png

as2.png

Hope it helps.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
8 REPLIES 8
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi NeoRant

Congratulations for your first prod FML integration. The first is the harder, and the following ones will be fast and easy.

You can share your false positives and we will try help.

But the good method is first to know the order of execution:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.4.2/administration-guide/521188/how-fortimail-process...

Keep that table next to you when you try resolve false positive issues. For example you will understand that if a legitimate mail was blocked due to IP reputation then safe-listing will not help, as the IP reputation is checked before the safe-listing.

AEK
AEK
NeoRant
New Contributor III

Hi AEK,

Thank you for this, i will review and provide update.

Regards,

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Additionally regarding your false positives, usually it is due to a hard AntiSpam profile, so I'm sharing here an AS profile that I usually setup as the main inbound profile.

as1.png

as2.png

Hope it helps.

AEK
AEK
NeoRant
New Contributor III

Hi AEK, 

Thank you very much. I will work in this and let you know soon. Cool stuff.

Regards

NeoRant
New Contributor III

Hi AEK,

I made some tweaks, but thanks a lot for the advice.

Regards

Cajuntank
Contributor II

One thing I'd like to say that was my initial cause of a lot of false positives were the amount of DNSBL sites I had added from seeing some examples online from various places (i.e... YouTube, Reddit, etc...).  I had 10 sites defined and all of my headache was due to that. I scaled mine down to like 2 and now I very rarely encounter a false positive while my catch rate for legit spam is very high.

AEK

@Cajuntank, I never used DNSBL as in my experience FortiGuard (IP Reputation) is best quality and gives much less false positives.

AEK
AEK
Cajuntank
Contributor II

I get that. My thought process on the matter; with the short amount of time I have had the product in production mind you, is I feel better knowing I am not "putting all of my eggs in one basket" for that determination balanced with not going overboard with that logic.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors