Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nabs
New Contributor

Fortigate blocking IPTV connection

Hello

I am new to fortinet and recently placed a fortinet device in my home network. It is a very simple setup to get me started and try more ambitious things later. The ISP router is having the WAN connection to the internet and the LAN side connects to the fortinet. All home devices are then connected to the LAN of the fortinet (no DMZ or other zones setup for now). With a simple allow for lan to wan rule in the firewall, all devices are able to communicate with the internet. 

However, the IPTV box has stopped working, i am guessing here there is something to do with multicast that is getting blocked here. If I remove the fortinet between the home network and the ISP router, IPTV box works normally and all the channels can be viewed but as soon as the fortinet is brought back in it stops working.
Looking forward to get this to work and appreciate your help.

5 REPLIES 5
Vichu_94
Staff
Staff

Hi Nabs,

Please try to configure a multicast policy on the firewall and check if that helps to pass the traffic through the firewall for the IPTV

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.5/cookbook/968606/configuring-multicast-forwarding

Regards

Vishal P
nabs
New Contributor

Hello Vishal

Thanks for sharing the document. I did had a look at this document already and I only applied the first half part of the changes suggested, didnt realise there are 2 steps. I will try the second set of instructions shortly and will try to see if it works.

nabs_0-1663854027144.png

nabs
New Contributor

OK, there is some progress but still got issues. 

With the config now added the channels come up with signal but exactly after 5 - 6 seconds the signal drops out and i get a message signal lost and this is happening for all the channels. Below is the config I added

nabs_0-1663865035587.png

scotteeters
New Contributor

Hey there, I recently stumbled upon your post and thought I might be able to help. I had a similar issue with my Fortinet device and found that it was indeed related to multicast traffic being blocked. I was able to resolve the issue by creating a new firewall policy allowing multicast traffic from the IPTV box. However, if you're still having trouble, I recently found a helpful guide on How To Watch Hulu in Saudi Arabia that has some great tips on resolving IPTV connection issues with Fortinet devices. It might be worth checking out. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your setup! As a side note, I'm new to this forum, so apologies if my response is a bit late.

LunarEcho
New Contributor II

I had a similar problem where my IPTV box wouldn't work with my home network. It's frustrating when technical stuff blocks your TV channels, which happens with specific setups. I tried many things to fix it, but then I realized the service I used was part of the issue.

So, I switched to beste iptv. It's easier to use because they've got a guide that answers all your questions. It helped me set everything up quickly. Since I started using it, I haven't had any problems with my network messing with my IPTV. Everything works smoothly now, and I can watch my shows easily.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors