Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pbd
New Contributor II

Fortigate 90G and 7.4.1

I've just bought a one of Fortigate's latest devices (90G) for the advanced IoT capability to find out that they don't support any of the newest firmware on there latest devices - mad........

So I've been basically ripped off - as they can't even tell me if and when 7.4 will be available on this device - The data sheet says that you need 7.4.1 but omits to tell you that they don't actually have 7.4.1

Absolutely apauling and support have just been as bad - just saying we can't help - we don't offer latest firmware on new devices.

So I have a nice ornament as box is useless to me without the capability - Really really poor Fortinet!

21 REPLIES 21
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

What version did it come with then? The datasheet has a foot note:
"1. Full features available when running FortiOS 7.4.1"

But it applies ONLY to "FortiGuard Security Services->Data Loss Prevention Service 1".

I don't know what the dataloss prevention service is. But I would assume unless data loss actually happens all other features would work as any other FGTs.

Toshi

pbd
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply - also applies to the advanced IoT capability too....

Toshi_Esumi

You're right. To have correct info in this thread, the footnote applies to three feature items in the table on the datasheet:
1. Data Loss Prevention Service
2. OT Security Service (OT Detection, OT Vulnerability correction, Virtual Patching, OT Signature/Protocol Decoders)
3. FortiGuard Attack Surface Security Service (IoT Detection, IoT Vulnerability Correlation, and Security Rating Updates)

Toshi

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Do you require any feature that is available in 7.4.x and is not available in older version?

If you have critical environment it is better to install a mature version, e.g.: 7.0.13.

AEK
AEK
pbd
New Contributor II

It was purchased for the advanced IoT capability - only in 7.4

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @pbd,

We are still working on the newer firmware version for 90G. 7.2 for 90G is expected to be released around late Q1 or early Q2 of 2024 and 7.4 will come after that. 

Regards, 

pbd
New Contributor II

So basically selling a product that doesn't actually do what's on the data sheet for at least six months - that's me ripped off!

Imperlin
New Contributor II

Hi pbd,
we also had this problem. 
A few months ago, you couldn't even find out that there was only the FGT90/91G "Special Build" by Googling it directly.

After encountering these problems, we learned from a Fortinet SE that this is standard for Fortinet-Products.
However, we were assured that we could install the Fortigate 91G at the customer's site (productive enviroment), and it would receive its security updates and bug fixes like all other Fortigates. (Today: The FGT90G simply stopped during configuration while adding an AP 231F.)
This problem with the special build seems to affect not only Fortigates but also other Fortinet products.

We had to learn the hard way that new Fortinet products are great, but we won't be able to use them 6-12 months after launch.

@fortinet: Please learn from our negative experience and provide better explanations/warnings about this issue in your data sheets. It's not enough to warn about it only at events! Thank you :)

Imperlin
New Contributor II

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors