Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lenenkash
New Contributor

Fortiextender Mode when connected to FGT

I have a new FGT60F with a FEX201F we need the cell to be a failover from our static IP'd fiber service, hopefully not often, but it has gone down already. I feel like I want the SDWan to just have the FEX as wan2, and let SD wan handle the failover, we have a few outside rules that need to come in on that static IP, I know the cellular will have a different IP, so we will need to update DNS if it's a long outage. We also have a vxlan connection to another building, that one I can't see as failing over automatically, I believe I will need to have a second vxlan ready to turned on when needed, is that correct?

The FEX appears to really want to handle both connections itself and give "service" to the device behind it, but in reality I just wanted a decent antenna for the cell service that could be managed from the FGT. Am I thinking about this right?

3 REPLIES 3
Stephen_G

Hello lenenkash,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Stephen - Fortinet Community Team
Stephen_G

Hello lenenkash,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Stephen - Fortinet Community Team
vpatil
Staff
Staff

@lenenkash  If your requirement is to provide a secondary WAN uplink connection (LTE) to the FGT then you may try deploying FEX in the "WAN Extension" mode and then add FEX Virtual WAN Interface to SD-WAN members for WAN link failover.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiExtender/Technical-Tip-How-to-setup-FortiExtender-WAN-Extensi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XViOGX9YWNo

If you require further assistance on this then please log a FEX and FGT tickets.

vpatil
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors