Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
error404
New Contributor

Forticlient error 5029 in wifi

A colleague of mine is currently on a site visit abroad and her FortiClient refuses to establish a VPN connection in the wifi of the host university. The error message is shown in the image below.

She had no problems using the VPN when working from home.

She also has no problems using the VPN at her current location when she connects to the internet via a hotspot provided by her mobile phone.

Does anybody have some clues how to trouble-shoot this problem?

My colleague is using Windows 10 and FortiClient 6.0.9.0277.

If no solution emerges in the next days, we will try newer versions of FortiClient.

I am aware of the Technical Tip from the Knowledge Base, which advises to check the TLS versions. On the computer of my colleague TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 were already active. Trying different combinations of enabled and disabled TLS versions did not help either.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Forticlient-TLS-error-5029-failed-to-estab... 

vpnErrorMessage.png

1 REPLY 1
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hey error404,

it sounds a bit as if the WiFi might be interfering with the SSL encryption, perhaps, if there is no issue with the mobile hotspot or other WiFi, but this specific one has the issue.

Do you know if there is any kind of SSL inspection behind the WiFi?

Other than that, FortiClient debug is pretty limited - I would perhaps run a packet capture with wireshark (capture filter pointing to the VPN gateway to only show relevant communication) to see what is going on with the TLS negotiations, and where they might be failing.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors