Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dunx
New Contributor

Forticlient blocking youtube content...

Hi

I have been upgrading Forticlient on some of our workstations and standalone laptops.  The issue came to light after installing version 6.0.6.0242 on a laptop and when browsing the internet I selected various Youtube videos and they came up with "This video is resticted. Try signing in with a Google apps account." The other error that comes up is a network error and to contact the system administrator.  The problem is with Web Security in Forticlient or to be more exact, the Web Filter.  I can allow all categories within the Web Filter but still I am unable to get all Youtube content until I disable the the Web Filter and then it works.

You guys can appreciate that this becomes a security issue, pointless having a product that doesn't work.  Our workstations will be connecting to our Fortiwifi 90D and running Compliance and Telemetry licenses from it for which we need to upgrade from the 10 free licenses to 100 licenses.  However, when I contacted Fortinet about this they stated that the free license wasn't covered by support and that I would have to purchase the licenses before they could help me BUT, they couldn't understand that, following a search and finding that people have been having this problem since 2018 that I (and anybody in their right mind) wouldn't purchase a product that doesn't work in the hope that it will eventually be sorted out.

There is a solution to sort this out in the registry however, everytime the PC is rebooted the issue re-enables itself.  Does anyone else have this problem and have a solution to it or can you guys in Fortinet resolve the issue please.

TIA

1 REPLY 1
Nicklebon
New Contributor

The fix for this is to backup your config and edit manually

orginal

<safe_search> <enabled>1</enabled> <search_engines> <enabled>1</enabled>

edited

<safe_search> <enabled>0</enabled> <search_engines> <enabled>0</enabled>

You then save and restore the edited config.

That said,  I have not been able to restore any config to my FC 6.0.7 installs. They all fail with Config Error in importing module: xmlav

This is with the 6.0.7.0243 which where we first observed the issue you describe. Research seems to point to the problem starting in the 6.0.3.x line.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors