Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
duahimanshu
New Contributor II

FortiTester! RFC2554 Testing, Recommendation?

Hello Experts,

I'm interested in RFC 2544 testing as it pertains to Fortigate VMs. Specifically, I'd like to understand Fortigate's approach to throughput testing. They provide online throughput figures for their VMs and mention details like server specifications, memory, CPU, and SRIOV enablement.  

My inquiry is whether Fortigate employs a tool like FortiTester to determine these throughput numbers. If they do, I'd like to know their recommendations for conducting RFC 2544 tests for throughput. For instance, should there be a delay between each iteration? For example, when testing different frame sizes like 64, 128, 512, and 1528 bytes, should there be a pause between each frame size, such as waiting for a few seconds after the 64-byte test before proceeding to the next frame size? If such delays are recommended, what is the suggested duration for these pauses?

1 Solution
spoojary
Staff
Staff

When testing with FortiTester, it's standard to adjust the traffic load within the same frame size to determine a device's performance limits. Using a brief 5 to 10-second interval between test iterations, like you mentioned, is common. This pause allows the device to stabilize and ensures clear, accurate measurements for the next cycle. The iterative process of adjusting the load to pinpoint the exact performance threshold is a well-accepted approach. Overall, your described practices align well with typical network testing methodologies using FortiTester.

Siddhanth Poojary

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
spoojary
Staff
Staff

Fortinet may use tools like FortiTester to evaluate throughput numbers for FortiGate VMs, as FortiTester is designed to assist with performance testing and validation for Fortinet devices. For RFC 2544 testing, introducing delays between iterations, especially when changing frame sizes, can help in obtaining more accurate results, allowing devices to stabilize. While specific durations might not be publicly documented by Fortinet, a common practice is to wait a few seconds (e.g., 5-10 seconds) between tests. However, for exact recommendations on testing FortiGate VMs using RFC 2544, it would be best to refer to Fortinet's official documentation or contact support.

Siddhanth Poojary
duahimanshu
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your response. I've found the information I needed, and I'll be reaching out to the FortiGate support team for documentation.

I have one more question regarding testing practices. It's common to wait a few seconds between different frame sizes, but what about within the same frame size? For example, if we're using a 128-frame size and initially sending a load of 50% for one gig, and if the test fails, we reduce the load by 50% and start sending traffic again. We continue this process, increasing and decreasing the load until we achieve 0% packet frame loss. The time difference between the first load and the second load is typically 5 to 10 seconds. Is this also a common practice?

spoojary
Staff
Staff

When testing with FortiTester, it's standard to adjust the traffic load within the same frame size to determine a device's performance limits. Using a brief 5 to 10-second interval between test iterations, like you mentioned, is common. This pause allows the device to stabilize and ensures clear, accurate measurements for the next cycle. The iterative process of adjusting the load to pinpoint the exact performance threshold is a well-accepted approach. Overall, your described practices align well with typical network testing methodologies using FortiTester.

Siddhanth Poojary
duahimanshu
New Contributor II

Thanks,  I've found the information I needed.  I appreciate your quick response. :)

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors