Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

FortiSwitch max number of config revisions

Looking for how many revisions of backup config files each FortiSwitch can hold. I'm assuming it depends on the model/flash mem size. If someone knows where the maximum value doc exists for FSWs, like FortiGate. Please let me know.

Also wondering how those rev IDs are managed/decided because after a factoryreset, the new backup's IDs are starting from '6'.

SW1234567-2 # exe revision list config

ID TIME ADMIN FIRMWARE VERSION COMMENT
6 1970-01-01 00:03:49 admin V7.2.0-build444-REL0 Automatic backup (logout)
7 1970-01-01 00:50:58 1234567 V7.2.0-build444-REL0 Automatic backup (session expired)
8 2023-06-21 22:48:22 1234567 V7.2.0-build444-REL0 Automatic backup (logout)

Thanks,

Toshi

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I got the answers. My guesses were not far off. I think at least FS-2xx or below model's max is 20 based on FSW Dev team's answers. <edit>Actually they clearly said all have 20 except those biggger models</edit>
------

1) How many max config revisions can be stored for FSW224D?

==> 20

2) Is there a list/document/link of max config revisions supported per FSW model? Or it is the same number of max config revisions for every FSW model?

==> No document for this but every FSW platform (other than FSW1024D, FSW1048D, FSW3032D) is having a max number of 20 config revisions. (1024D,1048D,3032D = 80 config revisions)

3) After factory resetting a switch the revision IDs doesn't seem to start from 0 or 1. Below list start from ID:11 up to 20. Would it start from 21 if I factoryreset it again? How these IDs are managed?

==> The IDs are stored in data2 partition. The ID should restart after factory-reset instead of incrementing. A mantis bug has been filed for this.

Mantis BUG ID: 0927850

https://mantis.fortinet.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0927850

Mantis BUG ID: 0927854

https://mantis.fortinet.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0927854

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Toshi,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Toshi,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Toshi_Esumi

Thanks Anthony. If your effort doesn't seem to get anywhere, I'll open a ticket at TAC. I have another one open related to the revision but it was about "500 server error" in GUI.

Toshi

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Toshi,

Thank you.

My research was not unfortunately a success.

I invite you indeed to open a ticket with the TAC.

Once you have the answer, could you please update this post?

Thanks a lot for your contribution.

Best regards,

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sure thing. My FSW is running 7.2.4 so once I get the answer about the 500 Server error, I'll report it to this forum as well. I'm guessing it's a bug or even that feature hasn't been fully implemented yet.

Toshi

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

As usual, thanks a lot Toshi!

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I got the answers. My guesses were not far off. I think at least FS-2xx or below model's max is 20 based on FSW Dev team's answers. <edit>Actually they clearly said all have 20 except those biggger models</edit>
------

1) How many max config revisions can be stored for FSW224D?

==> 20

2) Is there a list/document/link of max config revisions supported per FSW model? Or it is the same number of max config revisions for every FSW model?

==> No document for this but every FSW platform (other than FSW1024D, FSW1048D, FSW3032D) is having a max number of 20 config revisions. (1024D,1048D,3032D = 80 config revisions)

3) After factory resetting a switch the revision IDs doesn't seem to start from 0 or 1. Below list start from ID:11 up to 20. Would it start from 21 if I factoryreset it again? How these IDs are managed?

==> The IDs are stored in data2 partition. The ID should restart after factory-reset instead of incrementing. A mantis bug has been filed for this.

Mantis BUG ID: 0927850

https://mantis.fortinet.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0927850

Mantis BUG ID: 0927854

https://mantis.fortinet.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0927854

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

By the way the MANTIS seems to be accessible only by FTNT employees. Just be aware if someone else found this thread in your search.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors