Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

FortiManager-VM 7.2 Meta Field migration method/tool

We recently upgraded our FortiManager-VM from 7.0.8 to 7.2.4 and have discovered the Meta Field we've been using to "plug" values per device into CLI templates are not supported any more and have to migrate all those per-device mappings from Device Manager to Policy & Objects, now called "Meta Variables".

The upgrade process just copied used variable names to the Policy & Objects side but all those mappings were not copied at all (why not???).

I know it's too late and useless(hopeless) to argue why they're not automatically migrated during the upgrade process. So now I just want to know what's the best way to copy those values for 500+ devices on the FMG. Ideally there is a tool existing to do it. But if so, it could have been run during the upgrade. Therefore I have to assume that doesn't exist. Then, is there any good CLI command to dump all Device Managers Meta Field values to the console/SSH session so that I can have a list to copy them from then create script to paste into CLI to generate per-device mappings at Policy & Objects?

Toshi 

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi

Actually all of them were there, copied to the metadata variables' per-device mappings. I got confused since I couldn't apply the same CLI templates to the newly added FGT since it's not defined there.

So there was no problem migrating the data through the upgrade process.

Sorry about this false alarm.

Toshi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I have a TAC case open for this and now the TAC guy is saying those mappings were supposed to be migrated automatically although the releasenotes' description is not clear if it does. He also said no CLI commands to do this manually.

Toshi

Dannу

If this was my task then I would do the following:

1. Identify the API call or CLI command in the 7.0.8 config that outputs all the meta field values from Device Manager
  2. Identify the API call or CLI command in the 7.2.4 config that can used to input the meta variables into Policy & Objects
  3. Write a minimal effort JavaScript to export the data from 7.0.8
  4. Write a minimal effort JavaScript to import the data into 7.2.4
Toshi_Esumi

Actually all of them were there, copied to the metadata variables' per-device mappings. I got confused since I couldn't apply the same CLI templates to the newly added FGT since it's not defined there.

So there was no problem migrating the data through the upgrade process.

Sorry about this false alarm.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors