Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jakob-AHHG
Contributor II

FortiGate WLC SNMP details?

Hi All,

We are deploying FortiAP's, so I would like to monitor the WLC side of the FortiGates.

I have SNMP(v3) running just fine, but some of the WLC MIB variables puzzles me a bit.

fgWcInfoWtpSessions "Represents the number of WTPs that are connecting to the AC."

This seems to be the AP's acually Online & Aurhorized, as listed in the GUI. This is consistent and as expected.

fgWcInfoStationCount "Represents the number of stations that are accessing the wireless service provided by the AC."

This seems to be All Known AP's, Online/Offline&Authorized and UnAuthorized&Online..

fgWcInfoWtpManaged "Represents the number of WTPs being managed on the AC."

This number does not make sense - it fluctuates up and down, not following what is on/offline..

Anyone care to explain what it actually tells me?

It seems there is no (direct) MIB entry for Offline+Authorized AP's, and since there is no entry for Authorized APs, it's a bit hard to calculate what number of AP's not online.
Anyone found a solution for that, other than looking in the GUI from time to time..

Seems consistant from FortiOS 7.2.7 to 7.4.3

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
Jakob Peterhänsel,IT System Admin,Arp-Hansen Hotrel Group A/S, Copenhagen, DK
1 Solution
ebilcari

The value of fgWcInfoStationCount [ .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.14.2.7] shows the number of connected clients in the WLC:

clients.PNG

If your monitoring system support traps you can configure it for real time notifications when the APs go down/up:

fgTrapWcApDown .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.2.0.802

fgTrapWcApUp      .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.2.0.801

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Calculating the value from fgWcInfoWtpManaged [ .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.14.2.4] - fgWcInfoWtpSessions [ .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.14.2.5] should give the value of offline APs. When you say fluctuates you mean it's showing +/- 1 AP, takes time to be updated or is not reliable at all?

What HW model is the FGT?

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Jakob-AHHG

Hi @ebilcari 

Sure, I could calculate those two, then just be on aware that fgWcInfoWtpManaged also include new AP's not jet Authorized.

@ebilcari wrote:

When you say fluctuates you mean it's showing +/- 1 AP, takes time to be updated or is not reliable at all?

What HW model is the FGT?

Model: FG100F 7.2.7 and VM running on VMware 7.4.3

And sorry, it's fgWcInfoStationCount that does not add up.

On out head-office FG100F, we have one AP online, only one in the list, and the StationCount has been from 3-7, now at 5:

FGWLC01.png

Managed is correct here, as there is an UnAuthorized AP registred.

On out VirtualFG, the number is always below

FGWLC02.png

So my question should have been: What does fgWcInfoStationCount actually count?

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
ebilcari

The value of fgWcInfoStationCount [ .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.14.2.7] shows the number of connected clients in the WLC:

clients.PNG

If your monitoring system support traps you can configure it for real time notifications when the APs go down/up:

fgTrapWcApDown .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.2.0.802

fgTrapWcApUp      .1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.2.0.801

- Emirjon
Jakob-AHHG

Hi @ebilcari

Ahh, ok, that makes more sense.. 

We are using Intermapper, and it sure does support traps - I will play around with reacting to traps in my probe.

Jakob Peterhänsel,
IT System Admin,
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors