Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

FortiGate 70F?

I just heard a rumor about 70F to replace 60F due to chip shortage. But I can't find anything online yet. Does anyone have more detail of this?

Thanks,

Toshi

17 REPLIES 17
AlexC-FTNT
Staff
Staff

Besides the fact that 70F is not announced and no specs are publicly available, what is your concern regarding this change? Hypothetically speaking, if the existing 60F was replaced by a 70F through an RMA process if/after the customer agrees, I would personally consider this a free upgrade (certainly, thinking that the performance exceeds the 60F). And on a side-note: why would there be new chips for a new unit, and no manufactured chips for existing units/or units is stock?

"my 2 chips" :)

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

The first thing comes to my mind is HA situation with multiple 60Fs. If one is RMAed, can it be replaced with a 70F? My guess is it can't.

I'm assuming everything from outside would look the same including all ports. I just want to confirm.

pminarik

When you RMA a unit, you get asked if it's a part of a cluster, so that the RMA team can ensure that you end up with two units that can actually be clustered together. (i.e. you'd get two 70Fs if it so happened that there were no 60Fs available and replacement by a 70F were necessary)

[ corrections always welcome ]
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks. I was not expecting FTNT was that generous. We booked one 70F but probably won't get it until Q4.

pminarik

To be clear I am not saying that you will get a second free 70F if you buy one. Just saying that if an RMA scenario led to potential inability to rebuild a cluster due to the need to replace the faulty unit with a different model, the whole cluster would need to be replaced with the replacement's model.

[ corrections always welcome ]
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

ah, gotcha. That's what I originally expected.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Still preliminary info at this time. Probably need to wait until Q3.
https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/fortigate-70f-series.pdf

Toshi

G-Fobasso
Staff
Staff

I just saw this release and believe the 70f amongst others is quite interesting….

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/fortinet-re-engineers-firewalls-to-address-supply-concerns/...

OliverHeinz
New Contributor

As we currently have constant memory problems with 60Es in HA cluster with current 7.0 firmware (IPS, HA, updated taking up too much memory, even after reducing wad-workers and ips threads) we would be very interested in the 70F memory size. Does anybody have the hardware specs yet?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors