Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

FortiGate 60E - Reset Switch

I'm preparing my first 60E for deployment. This unit came with the new 5.4 firmware. Early in the process of configuring the unit I locked myself out of the firewall. I see a Reset switch on the outside of the firewall enclosure. Can this be used to reset to factory settings? I did not see any information about this switch in the manuals for the 60E. If this can be used how do you perform a reset, i.e. hold the reset switch in with a paperclip while powering up the unit? Is the use of the Reset switch documented somewhere, if so where? Thanks!

1 Solution
Jankenpon

I was also locked out of my 60E, but was able to get it to reset to factory settings.

Hardware:  FortiGate 60E

Firmware:  v5.4.0,build5335 (GA)

Issue:  Lost admin password

Resolution:  Unplugged the 60E, waited 10 seconds, pressed and held the Reset button, plugged the power cable in, held the Reset button for 60 seconds.

Result:  After performing these steps, I was able to log in with default credentials (username 'admin' and blank password).

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
telecosistem
New Contributor

Hello, 

To realise factory reset "exec factory reset"

Best regards,

SecurityPlus

In this situation I can't log in to the cli. I was wondering if the Reset button would allow me to reset the firewall.
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Take a look at http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1708/Resetting_a_lost_admin_password.pdf which should work unless you disabled the maintainer feature.

SecurityPlus

Thanks. I will look into this.

Just want to know though, can the Reset switch be used? If so how can it to be used?

tanr
Valued Contributor II

I don't see current docs on this so you should really check with Fortinet support to be sure.

My guess would be that it works as it did in older models.

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=FD33883    http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/811/30D-Series-QuickStart.pdf 

Per these docs, it looks like you fully cut the power, then restore power to the device, then press and hold the reset button once the status LED starts blinking.  Older docs says within 30 seconds of power being restored.

But I'd talk to tech support before you do that!

SecurityPlus

Thank you very much I'll look into this.
jsemmelroth

I just chatted with Tech Support this morning.  There is a reset button on my Fortigate 60E, but tech support was unable to tell me how to use it to reset the device to factory default.  Trying many different procedures yielded no joy.  My only option was to go out and find a console cable.  Since the reset button is ineffective, it would have been nice to have a console cable in the box.

Dave_Hall

Supposedly, you need to press/hold the RESET button within 20 seconds of the device booting up.  I do agree with finding/locating a console cable as it opens up a lot of options of accessing the 60E.  

Alternately, depending on firmware and config already stalled, you may be able to use a USB stick to restore a backup config.  Format a USB stick (fat16 or fat32(?) and stick a back up copy of your config on it, name it fgt_system.conf and boot the fgt with this USB stick inserted.  But chances are if support has already tried or suggested this then the console cable route is your best option.

jsemmelroth wrote:

Trying many different procedures yielded no joy.  My only option was to go out and find a console cable.  Since the reset button is ineffective, it would have been nice to have a console cable in the box.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
sw2090
Honored Contributor

And if nothing goes the only other way would be to format the boot device on cli bootloader and then reupload the firmware image via tftp. After this the FGT will be at factory default again.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors