Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Linette
New Contributor

FortiGate 300E and 500E Storage

Hi What does NIL stands for? It's found in the datasheet of newly released FG300E and 500E across the "Local Storage" specs. Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
tanr
Valued Contributor II

Usually NIL means Zero, Zip, Nada, None.

I'm disappointed that they're providing no option for local log storage on the 300E and 500E. 

The previous 300D and 500D had it, the 600D has it, and the lower 100 and 200 models have the 101E and 201E versions with storage, albeit at a very high price.

loic
New Contributor III

tanr wrote:

Usually NIL means Zero, Zip, Nada, None.

I'm disappointed that they're providing no option for local log storage on the 300E and 500E. 

The previous 300D and 500D had it, the 600D has it, and the lower 100 and 200 models have the 101E and 201E versions with storage, albeit at a very high price.

501E are planned soon the 5.6.3 firmware is available

301E are not yet on the pricelist but the firmware is available too

Loïc
Loïc
FGTuser
New Contributor III

Simple logic

x0E, xx0E - without disk

x1E, xx1E - with SSD disk

I think it was good change, since internal disk is quite overpriced (also UTM is more expensive, as % of box price) and FAZ is the best for logging anyway. Now you have the option... 

Why are you surprised? Haven't you check datasheet or Fortinet_Product_Matrix.pdf before purchase? It's crystal clear there...

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Fortinet's product matrix has not listed a 301E or a 501E as available.  If they're planned, that's good.

FAZ isn't an option for logging for the 5.6.x branch yet, as it can't handle FortiOS versions 5.6.1, 5.6.2 or 5.6.3.  Hoping it will get in sync soon.

FGTuser
New Contributor III

I'm logging FortiOS 5.6.x to FAZ 5.4.4 without any issues...

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Ah, good to know that it's working for that combination.

FGTuser
New Contributor III

Since FAZ 5.4.3 release it understands 5.6.x logs.

The only thing which doesn't work is historical Fortiview on diskless 5.6.x FGT, since this feature is pulling logs/data back from FAZ and is supported from FAZ 5.6.x only.

But directly on FAZ Fortiview works.

rojekj
New Contributor III

It means it doesn't have any internal storage. Just receiver 500E, no hard disk at all. Logging is only available through FortiAnalyzer or syslog.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors