Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
noanea
New Contributor

FortiClient as main antimalware

Hi there,

I'm happy to be part of Fortinet's forum. I don't own any Fortinet products and I don't represent any company.

I have been searching for an antimalware software for a time and have found FortiClient. It seems to have had 2 different editions previously (http://help.fortinet.com/fclient/olh/5-4-0/Content/FortiClient-5.4.0-Admin/100_Intro/105_FortiClient...). Does this still exist, or has both been merged into one free edition?

Anyways, my inquiry is regarding the FREE edition of FortiClient. I wonder if it would work as a replacement for Windows 10's Defender - and become my main antimalware protection on my personal Windows 10 PC?

I'll be using it in combination with Cisco's free community antimalware product called Immunet (it's a complimentary product, not to be used as a main antimalware).

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes it can be used  as-is and is free. You also have other choices for linux thru windows

(eg)

clamav

Sophos

etc....

Which are all good or as good or better imho. The advantage of forticlient is the fact you have a means for url filter and vpn client ( SSLVPN for fortigate , ipsec for FORTIGATE , CISCO and a few others  vpn devices like pfsense,opensense,etc.....)

Download it and give it a try.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Evandro_S__dos_Santo

I also use this it along with Comodo Firewall and SpyShelter Premium and it has proved to be very competent and quite lightweight, you can use it with confidence.

Evandro.

jklems
New Contributor

its means to be your primary defense for AV and Malware.  It seems to play well with Windows defender on both Windows 7 and 10.  So to answer your question, it would run alongside Defender; but is truly meant to be a one stop shop application for all things security.  In our office, we use it for for all Mac/PC laptops, Surface Pros, and some scattered Desktops.  Since we run Fortigate Routers, its used for compliancy, before you get to log into the VPN; it checks your system to make sure you are patched before letting you on.

For a home user it might be overkill, but would be just fine to protect just about anyone that needs a solid AV/Malware watchdog 

chrisjordan9

as a major protection against AV and malware. On both Windows 7 and Windows 10, it appears to work nicely with Microsoft's Windows Defender programmer Hence, to answer your question, it would operate alongside Defender; but, it is genuinely intended to be a one-stop shop programmed for all things security-related. All of our Mac/PC laptops, Surface Pros, as well as a few dispersed desktops utilize it at our workplace. This is because we utilize FortiGate routers and it checks to see if your system is patched before allowing you to connect.

For a home user, it may be overkill, but for anyone who needs a robust AV/Malware watchdog, it is perfect.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors