Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

FortiClient and Quickbooks/other app conflicts

Hi, On numerous PCs on our LAN, Quickbooks 2006 won' t go into multi-user mode, MS active synch won' t synch, FacetWin won' t connect, PC' s run slow, log on times are slow... These problems all started when FC 3.0.135 was installed on all PC' s on the network. Disabling FC real-time protection does not resolve. The only features that were installed were AV and Anti-Spam. No Web Filter, No VPN. If I uninstall Forticlient, the problems disappear. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? If so, have you been able to resolve? Thanks, John
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable

perhaps, firewall ? try FC 3.0 142 or FC 2.0 148
Not applicable

Firewall wasn' t installed, Windows firewall is disabled. I' ll check if I can try an earlier version per your advice. Thanks, John
Kevan_Paul
New Contributor

We encountered a similar issue with systems that had Quickbooks installed, and then attempted to load the Forticlient software. The symptom is that the multi-user version of a Quickbooks .qbw file will not load from a network drive and a network error is displayed, and the error message points to a possible winsock problem with the TCP/IP stack. When we called Fortinet Technical Support they gave us a clue about what was going on by suggesting a utility called LSPFIX.EXE which will allow the user to disable the LSP (Layered Service Provider) .dll that may be involved in the winsock errors. Using this tool we can disable the Fortilsp.dll, but this only takes care of the symptom and does not explain the root cause. It appears that the LSPFIX.exe utility removes selected LSP providers from the winsock catalog file. We had some XP systems that installed the Forticlient and Quickbooks together without any problems, so there was some specific winsock issue with the other systems. One of my theories is that these systems had other AV products on the systems with LSP overlays that had not been completed removed using their " uninstall" scripts and/or spyware components that had not be completely removed. The methods to show and reset the winsock catalog at the command line: >netsh winsock show catalog >c:\winsock.txt will show what LSP models have been added. >netsh winsock reset catalog will reset the winsock catalog back to default, but then the LSP applications will have to be reinstalled (such as Fortclient, Google Desktop, etc.) Quickbooks 2006 uses a TCP/IP over NETBIOS and port 10160 that needs to be opened on the client and server side; at first we thought that adding the Forticlient had affected these requirements. It appears that the real issue is the winsock database conditions prior to installing the Forticlient, and I' m still working on a consistent fix. I' ll post my results after testing.
Kevan_Paul

follow-up from my last post: Errata: LSAFIX.EXE should have been LSPFIX.EXE Further testing and success: I learned that QuickBooks uses NETBIOS over TCP/IP for it' s multi-user network drive version; (-6000, -832) error messages appeared when trying to load a multi-user company file from a network share after installing the Forticlient 3.0. The error messages all pointed to a firewall on the PC. The LSPFIX.EXE utility simply removed the FortiLSP.dll support from the winsock catalog, which disabled the firewall support for the Forticlient 3.0; this was not a real solution. The solution was to add the c:\program files\intuit\quickbooks enterprise solutions 6.0\QBW32.EXE and c:\program files\common files\intuit\Quickbooks\Quickbooks Update\qbupdate.exe to the FortClient Firewall, and then restart the Forticlient. This is required even if the Forticlient Firewall is set to allow all traffic. On one system that had leftover code from previous AV/personal firewall software I resolved all of the Forticlient and network application issues via the following procedure: 1- Uninstalled Forticlient completely. 2- ran command line utility to reset the winsock catalog back to default:
> netsh winsock reset catalog
3- ran MSCONFIG to disable all non-Windows applications temporarily during startup (just an extra caution to make sure there were no application conflicts). 4- reboot and reinstalled Forticlient 3.0. 5- added the above Quickbooks applications to be allowed through the firewall. 6- restarted the Forticlient. There may be other applications that require executables to be added to the firewall list. I recommend using the custom profile if you are having issues with certain applications, and add these applications even if the Firewall is set to " allow all" . The explaination may come from the way these applications are handled via winsock LSP.
graceturner
New Contributor

It seems that the installation of FortiClient 3.0.135 on your network is causing compatibility issues, resulting in problems such as QuickBooks not entering multi-user mode, Active Sync synchronization failures, FacetWin connectivity issues, slow PC performance, and delayed logon times. To address this, try updating FortiClient, reviewing and adjusting its settings, excluding critical applications, checking logs, and, if needed, seeking support from Fortinet.

For NetSuite Integration ERP Services Visit Ledger Labs

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors