Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rockn4
New Contributor

FortiClient VPN vs FortiClient SSLVPN - Inconsistencies

Please help. I have a few clients that utilize the Fortinet VPN client for my team to access their system

we can successfully to their system using FortiClient VPN 7.0.7.0345 with no problem, but not the FortiClient SSLVPN.

I'd like to streamline the connection process (using Devolutions RDM), and I've heard that installing/using FortiClientTools_7.0.7.0345 to get FortiSSLVPNclient.exe in order to be able to make a connection via command line.

In testing, making the same connection in FortiClient SSLVPN, it acts like it connects, but for some reason I get a bad 169.254.119.19(Tentative) IP address, and any pings I do result in "PING: transmit failed. General failure." Any idea why a connection would work in the normal FortiClient VPN, but not in FortiClient SSLVPN?

7 REPLIES 7
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
gfleming
Staff
Staff

What version of Windows are you using? Does the CLI show connected? Do you see connected status on the FGT? Is it possible you are connecting to a different portal than the GUI? Please ensure your user and settings are the same as in the GUI.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiClient/Technical-Tip-How-to-use-FortiClient-SSL-VPN-from-the-...

Cheers,
Graham
rockn4

Thanks for your response! I've been testing this in Windows 11 as of late, but I believe I was also testing in Windows 10 a few months back before upgrading Windows with the same results.

Everything shows as connected on the client end, but unfortunately this isn't my network to know if their FGT shows me as connected. But based on an IPCONFIG result, I do show as connected and have some of their IP information - except for getting assigned a 169. network which is my problem. So very likely connected, but just not operational.

Even bypassing the CLI and using the FortiSSLVPNclient GUI, I get the same result as showing connected. I saw somewhere that using an older version of the FortiSSLVPNclient might fix this. I need to find that article again and test.

gfleming

Just a bit of confusion as in your original post you said there was no problem using the GUI. But in this latest response you say the issue is the same in the GUI?

If it's not working either way or its intermittent this is almost certainly an issue on the other end.

Are the IP ranges configured properly? Do they have enough IP addresses configured to hand out to clients?

Cheers,
Graham
rockn4

Sorry, to clarify, I can successfully connect with the FortiClient VPN (GUI), but cannot connect* with the FortiClient SSLVPN (CLI or GUI).

* it "connects" according to the GUI, but I cannot communicate on this network.

IT_Ahan2
New Contributor III

what u mean by FortiClient VPN vs FortiClient SSLVPN

gfleming

FortiSSLVPNclient is CLI-based as opposed to regular GUI-based VPN agent.

Cheers,
Graham
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors