Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Alex_talmage
New Contributor

FortiAuthenticator Disable RADIUS Access-Challenge?

Is it possible to stop the Fortiauthenticator from sending a RADIUS Access-Challenge when a user is configured for 2FA? Reason for asking is that I want to present a web login to the internet, with FortiAuthenticator as the authentication mechanism using RADIUS. Logging in works by appending the FortiToken code to the password. But if the user does not enter a fortitoken, they are prompted for it. This isn't great from an externally facing login box, as the challenge ONLY appears if the correct username and password has been entered, so even though somebody trying to login maliciously doesn't have the fortitoken code, they now know that that user account is indeed correct and can try using that elsewhere?

2 REPLIES 2
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello Alex,

once is the user configured with 2FA and FortiAuthenticator (FAC hereinafter) RADIUS Client config allows or even requires 2FA being used, then FAC dos Access-Challenge for token if it is not obtained as password appendix. This is current design and AFAIK cannot be changed by config.

True is that challenge is sent just after correct user/password combination. Which could reveal user existence. But to be hones, if you have stronger passwords, then what is probability that attacker will hit correct combination within first few attempts ? It seems to me as less likely to happen. Therefore I'd recommend to use user lockout and basically lock such attacked account.

Is the attacker allowed to challenge FAC from anywhere ? I'd suggest to limit possible access routes and attack vectors. Also embed some DOS/IPS prevention points/techniques to limit and stop attacker from being able to try brute-force login.

Best regards, Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I have to slid with xsilver, your concern is mute and the whole  reason MFA exists in the 1st place ( a user needs more than just a user/password + 2nd factor )

So what if the  username/password was brute forced? The token is short lived &  random, and with fail-auth banning you have pretty much a hack proof authentication process.

Just deploy smart authentication process ( password lengths, fail-ban if possible, etc...) and have a go at it.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors