Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vincent1288
New Contributor

FortiAP 220B Corrupted Image?

FortiAP-220B (Mar 17 2011 - 11:11:49)

Ver:04000010 Serial number: FAP22B3******** Region code: A DRAM: b8050000: 0xc0140180 64 MB id read 0x100000ff flash size 16MB, sector count = 256 Flash: 16 MB Using default environment

In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Net: ag7100_enet_initialize... ATHRF1E: No phy found for unit 0 eth0: ##:##:##:##:##:## eth0 up ATHRF1E: Port 1, Neg Success ATHRF1E: unit 1 phy addr 0 ATHRF1E: reg0 1000 eth1: ##:##:##:##:##:## eth1 up eth0, eth1 Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 ## Booting image at bf940000 ... Image Name: Linux Kernel Image Created: 2014-07-31 19:04:31 UTC Image Type: MIPS Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed) Data Size: 1721272 Bytes = 1.6 MB Load Address: 80002000 Entry Point: 802b9480 [style="background-color: #ff0000;"]Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC[/style]

[style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Please help me fix this Problem, I can access Console Mode but Not sure what to do.[/style]

[style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Thanks![/style]

[style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Vince [/style]

6 REPLIES 6
vincent1288
New Contributor

Fixed, here is my solution. It should also work for anyone with a Bricked FortiAP.

- Setup tftp server

- put a new download Image.out from Fortinet

Enter Console Mode using a Serial to RJ45 Console Cable

use PuTTY.exe with configuration "Com1, 9600 serial"

** Once enter console mode, make sure you hit any key fast! ** to get a boot Menu

** If you missed, you can type the command "reset" to reboot the FortiAP.

- Input your "TFtp sever IP address"

- Input an IP Address for your "FortiAP"

That's it. Sorry for being sloppy :)

Good Luck   

Ahslan
New Contributor III

Do you know if this works for unofficially downgrading the firmware of access points? I ask because I have several access points on 5.4.2 and I'm having a ton of issues with them and want to downgrade them back to a image on 5.2 but unfortunately 5.4.2 doesnt support downgrading to older firmwares.

Thanks!

ron_lee

@vincent1288

Just a question, after you have entered the IP details and the Image.out how it is able to transfer the ImageOS to the AP via serial console cable ? did you removed (console cable) and then swapped over to a normal LAN cable connecting to you TFTP server ? 

thanks in advance

Chris

As far as i know the main problem with a downgrade from a major release to an older one is the content in the config. This is often not compatible with the actual release so no downgrade is possible.

The firmware should be for the right model.

If it exists a V 5.2 for the 220b i see not a problem not to use it. If you do a firmware downgrade/upgrade via TFTP you lost the old config.

You get a fresh install with factory defaults. I must do this yesterday because my 60D was unable to boot since a sudden power failure. In my case the 60D must be connected over WAN1 with the network. As i see in the documents for the 220b it has only one ethernet port, so  it must be connected there.

I assume a firmwareupdate over the console should be the same synonymous with the 220b. A TFTP-Server should be running. The firmwarefile should be in the TFTP Root. I use TFTPD32 from this site. http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ On the Console you must Type G

It then tells you on wich port you connect the Lan-Cable

Then it asks you for the TFTP Server Ip

Then it asks you for the local Ip of the Unit.

Be sure the IPs are all in the same network segment and not used.

Then it asks you for the Image filename. (it must be endet with .out)

Finally it maybe asks you how to store the new Image.

D = default B= Backup R=Run without saving

The download is then now running und if all OK (CRC) it reboots now.

The unit themselves checkes for the correct CRC and tells this on the console if there are any issues occures.

The whole procedure was done i 5 minutes. Be sure that you then you use the default credentials.

Also the Ip of the unit is default. Mostly 192.168.1.99

If the unit say in your case a corrupt image it could be a failure on the flashdisc. This occasionally happens as in my case if the unit goes down suddenly due to a powerfailure. When you download the firmware you are capable to get a Checksum for the file. You can verify this with several tools. The Checksum must be matched wit the verified firmware. Hope it helps you.

Regards

Chris

ron_lee
New Contributor

@chris

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i already solved my issue.

Chris

Glad to hear that I could help. ;)

Regards Chris

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors