Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dleclair
New Contributor II

Factory Reset FortiSwitch 108D POE?

I purchased a used FortiSwitch 108D-POE but have been unable to perform a factory reset on it.

There is an unlabeled reset button on the left side of the front. Pressing and holding it for 60 seconds or longer has no effect. I have also tried unplugging it and holding the reset button down while it boots. I have tried pressing and holding the reset button for 10 seconds right after a reboot, and also tried the same after waiting five minutes.

In its current state, when I connect it via port 10 to my laptop (set to 192.168.1.2), I get a link activity light but I cannot ping 192.168.1.99 nor access it by HTTPS or SSH.

Looking to factory reset it so I can gain access to it.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

1 Solution
ebilcari

I found a switch 108D-PoE and test the reset. After letting it on for 5 minutes, no ports connected, press the reset button. After ~25 seconds all the lights come up, I released the reset button. After ~2 minutes the switch came up and it was in its default configuration.
Version: FortiSwitch-108D-POE v3.6.11,build0432,191108 (GA)

Repeated the same procedure with one host connected, same observed behavior.
If you don't get all the lights on while keeping the reset button pressed for ~25 seconds, I think the reset button is not functioning any more.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Try the reset button press&hold 10 sec while you're watching at the console output. You should see like below:

Mode button is held over 10 seconds. System will be reset to factory default!

System is resetting to factory default...
caputp_ipc_get_info 81: send to caputp ac failed

The system is going down NOW !!

Please stand by while rebooting the system.
Restarting system.

Once it came back up, you should be able to log in via the console with "admin/(no password)".

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

By the way the baud rate of FSW console port is 115200.

dleclair
New Contributor II

Thanks for your info and suggestions! The 108D does not have a console port. Is there a way get to the console with an ethernet cable on port 10 of the switch? I have been unable to find technical documentation for this device.

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

sorry, I didn't know that.

Toshi

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

When you press the reset button, do you feel the click effect?

If the button is successfully pressed, after 10 seconds it should light all the ports LEDs and than do a reboot.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
dleclair
New Contributor II

Yes, the click effect is noticeable. I have held it as long as 60 seconds with no results.

Here are some images:

https://imgur.com/a/muVMOvj

On power up all lights come on. Then the speed row lights go off one by one. I have a cable plugged into port 10. After about 40 seconds, the speed and link lights come on for port 10 but it does not respond to pings on 192.168.1.99.

ebilcari

Since the two last ports are combo ports, I would suggest to use one of the normal ports. If the reset is successful they will all be part of VLAN 1 and have access to the management IP. Try all of them, maybe some of the ports are dead.

- Emirjon
ebilcari

also you can try to run a packet capture using wireshark on your computer to check for any incoming traffic from the port that is connected to the switch.

- Emirjon
dleclair
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions, by connecting on port 8 and using wireshark, I found its IP and can access the web UI.

In the packet trace I can see that it has not been reset because its system name is a well-known company name, a manufacturer of vehicles.

The reset button still has no effect. Unless I can get the credentials from the previous owner, it looks like I am out of luck.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors