Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Eaguiar
New Contributor

FAP-432F - Wireless design doubt

Hi Guys

I've been planning an outdoor network, and I have a doubt about the installation of 432F. Is this AP designed to be built on ceiling or on wall/pole?

The radiation pattern on Fortinet docs seems this AP in a ceiling position. Do you think in terms of outdoor environments, this pattern will change in case of installing this AP on pole at 4/5 meters high?

2024-04-02 08_10_02-fortiap-series.pdf.png

I appreciate your time in advance.

Regards

Estéfano A. 

1 Solution
mhaneke
New Contributor III

Hello Estéfano,

I am a WiFi planner, too. Maybe You misinterpret the antenna pattern or better said, the picture which comes with it. It is a common "donut" pattern as it is always with isotrophic antennas. I think Fortinet just tried to visualize a 3D view and therefore messed up the whole thing.

These antennas are just isotrophic and You may install them as low as You can on or near to the height where You need the signal. Otherwise use directed or sector antennas instead and downtilt them by some degree then.

best regards

sig. Martin U. Haneke

EKAHAU Certified WiFi Master (ECWM #10)

LANCOM Platinum Partner

best regards
Martin

View solution in original post

best regardsMartin
4 REPLIES 4
janetj2
New Contributor

You’ve not listed what issues you’re having - can you give some examples? I’ve got some older ones running and they’re solid, got one recently EOO’d that I got for a project to deliver WFH wireless and LAN and it worked well but WiFi on the iPhone was patchy. Mostly ok https://100001.onl/ .

Eaguiar

Hi

It's just a planner and planning process yet. No issues, just design doubt about the best pattern for this AP. 

I'm used to another vendor that starts with C; its documents show a more visual pattern.

Can I take it for granted that it can be built on a pole or ceiling?

mhaneke
New Contributor III

Hello Estéfano,

I am a WiFi planner, too. Maybe You misinterpret the antenna pattern or better said, the picture which comes with it. It is a common "donut" pattern as it is always with isotrophic antennas. I think Fortinet just tried to visualize a 3D view and therefore messed up the whole thing.

These antennas are just isotrophic and You may install them as low as You can on or near to the height where You need the signal. Otherwise use directed or sector antennas instead and downtilt them by some degree then.

best regards

sig. Martin U. Haneke

EKAHAU Certified WiFi Master (ECWM #10)

LANCOM Platinum Partner

best regards
Martin
best regardsMartin
Eaguiar

Hi Martin 

Thanks; I really appreciated your explanation. Yes, I was a quite confused because of the "3D" perspective. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors