Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rtrainer
New Contributor

Data Rate Through 30D

I just picked one up for a small office. The office as a 75/75 connection from Verizon. When doing speed tests through the previous box, Untangle, we got 85/85 (my understanding is that connections above 50mb are over-provisioned). The problem is that when testing through the 30D, we are seeing 85 down but only 45 down. I have turned off all features.

Does any one have any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Itguy
New Contributor

Why would you switch from Untangle to a 30D? Untangle is vastly superior to the low end Fortigate's in my opinion, and at only $49 a year - much cheaper. In order to utilize your connection you will have to totally disable all of the features of the 30D - so why would you want it?

Anyway to answer your question - 30D is a very low end device, only acceptable for DSL in my opinion. RISC processing is limited, the form factor is cheap and overheats. Failure rates are higher in our experience. Anyway to answer your question - most providers over provision as high as 25% in some cases. Untangle can run at 1Gb stock speeds so it will be an open pipe for your provisioning. 

30D is capped at 18Mbps with full UTM features, and around 35Mbps with most things off. Hard cap on latest firmware seems to be closer to 45Mbps like you are seeing. Sadly, it's just not a good device IMO. The good news is, the 30E is much better with 150Mbps throughput with full UTM.

ede_pfau

OP mentions he's seeing 85 Mbps downstream which would be far from 35-45 Mbps.

But basically, the 30D's weak CPU (System on Chip) does limit the speed. I regard the 60D as being the first 'real' Fortigate, at a different price point.

One note regarding the new E series: there's only FortiOS v5.4 available for these, which might be OK for you despite known bugs in a new major version.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
rtrainer

Just wanted to update this thread with a couple of things. First, I mistakenly stated that the unit is a 30D. It is in fact a 60D. I have since upgrade the unit to v5.2.6 and the up rate through the unit has increased but is still well low of the 85 mbps that I get through the FIOS router.

ede_pfau

The WAN line is not using PPPoE by any chance? There's been a discussion lately here that the SoC based FGT have difficulties in sustainind high speed PPPoE connections because of limited CPU power. The fix is to use a simple router in front.

rtrainer

No, it is not using PPPoE.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors