Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Network-Eng2022
New Contributor

Connecting HA Cluster Firewalls to another HA Cluster Firewalls

I have an 2 seperate HA Active-Passive Cluster of Fortigate Firewalls.

I want to connect the first cluster to other cluster without introducing any switches in between in a full mesh connectivity. This is required to achieve full redundancy between the 2 HA clusters.

What is the best practice in achieving the above? Is creating Redundancy Interface and add 2 10GB port to this interface on both will do the job?

8 REPLIES 8
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

Please check if FGSP clustering between the current clusters is the solution for you.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.4/administration-guide/668583/fgsp

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

Network-Eng2022

I have checked the document shared.

Actually what I am trying to achieve is connect 1 HA Cluster (Active-Passive) (Site-A) to another HA Cluster (Active-Passive)(Site-B) through direct fiber cables in a full mesh.

srajeswaran

Can you confirm how is the traffic flow through these 2 clusters? A full mesh HA is to avoid a single point of failure in network, something like below.

Full-Mesh-HA.png

 In your setup, you have 2 HA, are they redundant to each other? If so, how is the sessions synced between them and how is the traffic flow.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

gfleming
Staff
Staff

Is there a reason you don't want to use switches in between? 

Cheers,
Graham
CEMS
New Contributor

Hi,Do you have a solution for that issue,I live same problem?

AEK

Hi CEMS

Didn't test it and don't know if it is supported, but I think you can do it with a hardware (or software) switch interface.

i.e.: one each cluster you configure 2 ports as hardware (or software) switch, then you inter connect the two clusters via these ports, like shown below.

ha_inter.png

AEK
AEK
CEMS
New Contributor

Many thanks AEK,Ye I can Hardware or Software Switch,actually I can Redundancy or 802.3 ag but  I use HA Active(tus11,art11) and Passive (tus12,art12) How can trigger  something happens ,in my scenario connection 1 from tus11emc to art11 is down How can I transfer traffic through to art12 emc ,I could not add software or hardware swtich interface ha monitor interface by the way ,I just add redundant or 802.3AG interface,should I configure wtih these interface or should I do ip sla 

Adsız-2024-05-10-1137.png

AEK

I guess you mean 802.3ad (aggregate).

For interface monitor you can't select hardware switch interface, but can monitor 802.3ad interface.

I think 802.3ad should also work as solution for your requirement, but you need to test it well, and also I don't know if this solution is supported by Fortinet, even in case it works well, so you may open a ticket to ask if it is supported or not.

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors