Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Magion
Contributor

(Computer) client certificate validation

Hi,

I have a working SSLVPN solution where I use client validation to check for a computer certificate from our internal PKI on the client. Domain computers get a certificate using autoenrollment policies and the root certificate is stored on the Fortigate. By enabling users to select the computer certificate in FortiClient during login, they can select the right certificate, which can be validated by Fortigate. So far so good...

The problem is, any certificate/key pair on the client, with a matching root on the Fortigate passes certificate validation. Since we use Lets Encrypt certificates, I uploaded the root of LE onto the Fortigate. If I install any valid LE certificate on the client, this certificate is also accepted.

Fortigate accepts any valid certificate for which it has a root certificate installed.

Is there a way to limit validation to specific root certificate(s)? Or perhaps check on specific certificate details?

Using only Fortigate, no other Fortinet products.

User authentication is done entirely on a remote Radius server, so no local/ldap/radius users defined.

FortiOS 6.0.5, FortiClient 6.0.8

Thx,

Michel

4 Solutions
Magion

Just got word from support again. The gave me this link: https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD47120.

Although I find the example config a bit confusing, it seems like what I want to accomplish might be possible... but only from FortiOS 6.2.2+. We are still on 6.0.5.

View solution in original post

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's what I'm talking about in auth-rule

config vpn ssl settings  set reqclientcert enable  set ssl-min-proto-ver tls1-1  set servercert "Fortinet_Factory"  set tunnel-ip-pools "SSLVPN_POOL_1"  set port 8443 config authentication-rule   edit 1   set source-interface "wan1"   set source-address "all"   set users "user1"   set portal "full-access"   set client-cert enable   set user-peer "socpuppets"   next  end end

The set user-peer is your  CA with or without the subject 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey, I just wanted to say I test it by only using the CA and no cn or subject string so it worked  What I did was use the web-acecs and firefox and called up a inferior certificate that did NOT match the "config user peer"

So if you are issuing certificates from a privateCA, just 1> import the ca into  the firewall 2> sign all users with that CA >3 and set a "config user peer" and finally use that peer in the auth-rule.

It should work and lock down the sslvpn. If the client presents no certificate or a certficate that is not signed by the CA you defined , the ssl will reject that connect. You will see this on a "diag debug application sslvpnd -1"

e.g 

[23346:root:3b]rmt_web_auth_info_parser_common:470 no session id in auth info [23346:root:3b]rmt_web_access_check:723 access failed, uri=[/remote/logincheck],ret=4103, [23346:root:3b]User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0 [23346:root:3b]rmt_logincheck_cb_handler:1189 user 'user1' has a matched local entry. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_auth_check_usrgroup:2039 forming user/group list from policy. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_auth_check_usrgroup:2145 got user (1) group (0:0). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1642 validating with SSL VPN authentication rules (1), realm (). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1690 checking rule 1 cipher. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1698 checking rule 1 realm. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1709 checking rule 1 source intf. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1730 checking rule 1 source address. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1845 rule 1 done, got user (1:1) group (0:0) peer group (0). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1963 got user (1:1), group (0:0) peer group (0). [23346:root:3b]fam_cert_send_req:808 do certificate peer check first(2). [23346:root:3b]doing certificate checking for 1 peer(s). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_update_user_group_list:1579 Remove user(s) which has set user-peer (1). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_update_user_group_list:1595 got user (0:0), group (0:0), peer group (0) after update. [23346:root:3b]__auth_cert_cb:939 no valid user/group candidate found.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Agent_1994

Magion,

I did something like this in my lab. All the users are Active Directory users:

config user peer     edit "peer1"         set ca "home_lab"         set subject ".hydra.local"     next end

In plain english, this is "certificate must belong to the home_lab CA and it's subject must have .hydra.local". The latter is the FQDN matching trick I told you.

Next I created a realm "portal1" and did this:

config user ldap     edit "DC"         set server "dc.home.lab"         set cnid "userPrincipalName"         set dn "dc=home,dc=lab"         set type regular         set username "HOME\\fortigateLDAP"         set password [removed]     next end

config user group     edit "vpn"         set member "DC"         config match             edit 1                 set server-name "DC"                 set group-name "CN=VPN,OU=User Accounts,DC=home,DC=lab"             next         end     next end

config vpn ssl settings     config authentication-rule         edit 1             set groups "vpn"             set portal "full-access"             set realm "portal1"             set client-cert enable             set user-peer "peer1"         next     end end

The test were:

[ul]
  • user + no certificate: fail
  • user + any user certificate from home_lab CA: fail
  • user + any computer certificate from home_lab CA: works
  • user (wrong credentials) + any computer certificate from home_lab CA: fail
  • user + any certificate from a CA other than home_lab: fail[/ul]

Hope this helps

Max

• View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
    boneyard
    Valued Contributor

I don't believe this will be an issue. Most public CAs don't sell client certificates, so there is no issue there.

Magion

It is, and yes they do.

I use the client certificate check to make sure only company owned machines can connect to the vpn. For that I need to be sure only specific certificates (from our own private pki) are accepted. FGT however seems to allow any valid certificate. If I install a LE certificate, I can use it to pass client certificate check. Which means I cannot depend on this test anymore, unless I can specify a root ca.

As for client certificates, I think most major CA's sell them. But even regular 'web' certificates can be used as client certificate. I have checked my old certificates, and so far ALL server certificates contained both server authentication and client authentication EKU's.

Magion

Well, unfortunately Fortinet support could not help as well. They keep telling me to create peer users... But since I use an external radius server for authentication, no users management is done on the firewall.

I created a firewall group and added the radius server as remote group. Now, if I add a peer user with a root ca defined, would it then 'combine' the 2. So use authentication from the remote group radius and use the root ca for the certificate check?

(Can I change this with out having all vpn sessions killed? Some changes to vpn or certificate settings usually end all vpn sessions )

I was hoping for something easy like:

config vpn ssl settings set reqclientcert enable set ca 'my root ca' end

Magion

Just got word from support again. The gave me this link: https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD47120.

Although I find the example config a bit confusing, it seems like what I want to accomplish might be possible... but only from FortiOS 6.2.2+. We are still on 6.0.5.

Magion

Apparently there is an internal open issue with 6.0 where any valid certificate is allowed for client certificates. So support recommends to upgrade. Figures

Kojot_
    New Contributor II

I asked same question about "Lets Encrypt" certificate on today training NSE4 SSL. Trainer said, that`s impossible to login with lets encrypt certificate. I will try solution from this kb

tanr
    Valued Contributor II

Did they give a bug number?  There was a similar issue with 5.6 FortiGates just accepting the certs based on their root ca instead of actually checking the details.

boneyard
    Valued Contributor

for Kojot_ and Magion can you show me a public certificate with which you can login?

i was told that a setup like that would work for 6.0, but im afraid that there wasn't tested with client certs form other CAs.

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

OP can you post your config and th "config user peer" ? You should be able to set the expected peer-id and the rootCA for the peer. And only those users that has  the CA would be authenticated. 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors