Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AlexFeren
New Contributor III

Clarification of 'ftgd-disable' within 'config ftgd-wf' within 'config webfilter profile'

1. Cookbook clearly states, regarding GUI, "FortiGuard Web Filter is enabled and configured within web filter profiles by enabling FortiGuard Categories." Is this equivalent of 'options' attribute set to 'fgd-disable"?

2. Is any setting within "config ftgd-wf" effective if 'options' value is 'fgd-disable"?

4 REPLIES 4
hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi AlexFeren,

No, it is equivalent to "unset options" or "set options <could be anything that is not ftgd-disable>". If "ftgd-disable" is enabled, the Web Filter will not be scanning packets under the FortiGuard Categories. The regular Static URL Filter would still work.

HoMing

AlexFeren
New Contributor III

Hi Ho Ming,

thanks for taking time to answer.

However, you haven't really answered my second question:

>> 2. Is any setting within "config ftgd-wf" effective if 'options' value is 'fgd-disable"?

Your reply:

> If "ftgd-disable" is enabled, the Web Filter will not be scanning packets under the FortiGuard Categories. The regular Static URL Filter would still work.

The 'Static URL Filter' is covered by "config web" not "config ftgd-wf", so, it doesn't answer my question. My question: if "config ftgd-wf"'s 'options' is set to "ftgd-disable" will any other setting within "config ftgd-wf" have any effect?

You can guess why I am confused - on/off operation of a feature (in this case, Web Filtering based on FortiGuard categories) is usually dictated by first order attribute, like "status", not a secondary attribute under "options".

R's, Alex

hmtay_FTNT

Hi Alex,

Sorry, I missed answering number 2. The answer is no, the other options and the rate-image-urls, etc would not be effective. Without the FortiGuard categories action set, the Fortigate does not rate the URL/IPs.

HoMing

AlexFeren
New Contributor III

Hi Ho Ming, thanks for clarifying. Brilliant. As per my > You can guess why I am confused - on/off operation of a feature (in this case, Web Filtering based on FortiGuard categories) is usually dictated by first order attribute, like "status", not a secondary attribute under "options". I hope you can suggest for product improvement. R's, Alex
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors