Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
motorbass
New Contributor II

Can't use SNMPv3 on Meraki AP on FortiNAC

Hi

We're currently trying FortiNAC v7.2.5.0101, everything runs smoothly for most of our devices except for Meraki AP.

We follow this guide for configuring/adding the AP https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortinac-f/7.2.0/network-device-modeling/785561/cisco-meraki-ms-s...

Indeed, even though SNMPv3 is enabled on our Meraki oraganization and so AP ( snmpwalk -v3 is ok) FortiNAC always throws an error while trying to add it using S/N as UserName and API Key as Password as you can see below:

fortinac_meraki.png

From a firewall perspective we got not deny or any filtering, proof is we can add the same AP using SNMPv2c for instance.

From a FortiNAC perspective, there's no such log or information that may helps to troubleshoot this.

Any of you guys succeed to use SNMPv3 between FortiNAC and Meraki ?

Thanks a lot for your help & advices

FortiNAC  

1 Solution
motorbass
New Contributor II

I finally found the solution from here https://support.auvik.com/hc/en-us/articles/204356740-How-to-enable-SNMP-on-Meraki-devices

So credentials to use are those from Network-wide, we agree, but in any case, it has to be SHA1 & DES.

It works pretty smooth, happy to have learnt something today ! :)

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @motorbass ,

I think it's related to SNMP_Protocol. Can you change SNMP_Protocol with SNMPv3 AuthNoPriv.

Or you need to fill the privacy password area with the password. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
motorbass

Hi

Just gave a try and same error.

UserName is still S/N and Authentication Password is my API Key

ozkanaltas

Hi @motorbass , 

Firstly you need to add a Meraki device with snmp credentials. You can configure this credential on a Meraki device.

SNMP

Configure SNMP access to allow for FortiNAC device discovery. Under the Network-wide > General > SNMP section, allow either v1/v2 or v3 access

After adding the Meraki device on FortiNAC, you can configure the username and API key in the model configuration menu on FortiNac

But first, you need to add the Meraki device to FortiNac with SNMP credentials. 

I found one document about how to configure SNMPv3 credentials on the Meraki MS switch. You can review this document.

https://support.auvik.com/hc/en-us/articles/204356740-How-to-enable-SNMP-on-Meraki-devices

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
motorbass

Hi

Sorry but i don't understand this answer, this is what I did and what I explain in my original post. I'm currently trying to add my device with SNMP credentials + as mentionned SNMPv3 is already properly configured on Meraki as I can reach it through snmpwalk -v3..

ozkanaltas

Hello @motorbass ,

Can you share the full command of the snmp walk you tested? You can mask credentials. I just want to see the parameters in your command. 

motorbass

Sure here it is

```

snmpwalk -v3 -l authPriv -u "XXXXX" -a SHA -A "YYYY" -x des -X "YYYY" 10.10.10.10

```

ozkanaltas

Hello @motorbass ,

Can you fill the FortiNAC snmp area with these information? 

Username : -u "XXXXX"

Authentication Protocol : -a SHA

Authentication Password : -A "YYYY"

Privacy Protocol : -x des

Privacy Password : -X "YYYY" 

image.png

motorbass

Great idea,

Just tried, same error unfortunately...

I think we're close to it

ndumaj
Staff
Staff

Hello,
According to the Error, FNAC sends SNMPv3 requests to get sysobjectID from the device but the switch does not respond with the appropriate parameters and FNAC states -> "Unable to contact"
It looks to be a misconfiguration of SNMPv3.
Article:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiNAC/Technical-Tip-Troubleshooting-SNMP-communication-issues/t...

Check on Meraki  if there is any indication why it is refusing the FNAC request.

BR

- Happy to help, hit like and accept the solution -
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors