Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
smoutc
New Contributor

Can't ping Google Primary DNS (8.8.8.8) via Fortigate

I have a problem here today that I can't explain.  At some point during the night, two different Fortigates, at two different sites on two different internet connections on different carriers, stopped being able to ping the google primary DNS server.  It caused the wan monitor to take the connection down assuming the internet connection was down.  We can ping the secondary (8.8.4.4) just fine, and so changed the link monitor over to the secondary (8.8.4.4) and everything works fine.  Also, if use a different router on the same internet connection as my default gateway, I can ping 8.8.8.8 just fine.

Anyone experiencing the same, or have any theories what is going on?  Never seen anything link this before.

2 REPLIES 2
BWiebe
Contributor

Interesting - I see same issue on a few devices I support, but not all.

Link-monitor uses 8.8.8.8 and it failed on 10% of our clients.

Bad IPS engine maybe....

After changing link-monitor server to 4.2.2.1 -> issue disappeared.

I pinged my technical/sales rep to see if he has any input - I'll update if I hear anything.  But this smells like a bad Fortiguard update.

smoutc
New Contributor

The issue appears to have been solved at some point over the last hour or two, as we can now ping 8.8.8.8

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors