Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Nascimento
New Contributor II

Can I keep ETH0 (FortiNAC Mgnt) and ETH1 (FortiNAC Services) in the same VLAN for "L3 network type"?

I want to implement a simple FortiNAC deployment and place the ETH0 (FortiNAC Mgnt) and ETH1 (FortiNAC Service) interfaces in the same VLAN for a "L3 network type". It seems to me that there will be no problem but I want to know if anyone here has done something like this and if it is working. I plan to use this table of IP Address:

MGMT10.47.0.60/24
CAPTIVE REGISTRATION10.47.0.61/24
CAPTIVE REMEDIATION10.47.0.62/24
CAPTIVE DEAD END10.47.0.63/24

Is there anyone here who can point to a document describing this? I will be very grateful if there are contributions. 

JSN
JSN
1 Solution
dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @Nascimento ,

Here is a very nice guide, have a look as it might help:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiNAC/Technical-Tip-An-example-of-a-simple-network-deployment-o...

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @Nascimento ,

Here is a very nice guide, have a look as it might help:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiNAC/Technical-Tip-An-example-of-a-simple-network-deployment-o...

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

The short answer is NO, it will mess up the routing table since you can have only one default route, most probably using eth0. To add, the eth1 interface and their sub-interfaces will also serve DHCP and DNS services that will complicate it even more. Not to consider also the security concern that mixes management traffic with isolated/non compliant user's traffic.

> route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default gw.eb.eu 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

If you have a physical appliance of FNAC you can try the L2 deployment if you place FNAC directly in the LAN segment and choose to span the VLAN from access ports to eth1 interface of FNAC.
If you are using a VM than the L3 topology with two separate subnets is needed.

- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors