Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
philv
New Contributor

Block external IP addresses

Dear Techies, I'm new to Fortigate and new to the forum. Anyway, I have a problem configuring policies for blocking unwanted access from some external/malicious IP addresses. Here's what I did. == GBSP-FW1 # sh firewall policy 103 config firewall policy     edit 103         set name "WAN to LAN"         set uuid 76f191b8-5c56-51e9-9c22-4672edcc21a6         set srcintf "wan1_outside-interface" "wan2_outside-interface"         set dstintf "port1_inside-interface"         set srcaddr "GROUP-Block-Countries"         set dstaddr "all"         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set logtraffic all         set fsso disable     next end Action is set to "DENY" (through the GUI) Log Violation Traffic - enabled Enable this policy - enabled == With in the "GROUP-Block-Countries" group. config firewall address     edit "BC - China"         set uuid cd09f5ba-5c54-51e9-a7ac-48d279294f0c         set type geography         set color 25         set country "CN"     next     edit "BC - Russia"         set uuid f5fb6106-5c55-51e9-2946-f2aba7123c50         set type geography         set color 25         set country "RU"     next     edit "BC - South Korea"         set uuid 6a6eb5b4-5c57-51e9-3125-870fd87fe86a         set type geography         set color 25         set country "KR"     next     edit "BC - Ecuador"         set uuid 9d6540b4-5c61-51e9-0b4a-1148a4f24cdb         set type geography         set color 25         set country "EC"     next     edit "BC - United Kingdom - 81.94.192.0/20"         set uuid 366a8746-5c63-51e9-72f7-2d7cee735d2f         set color 25         set subnet 81.94.192.0 255.255.240.0     next     edit "BC - United States - 70.224.0.0/17"         set uuid f47650fc-5c64-51e9-5bec-3ce96a95b35c         set color 25         set subnet 70.224.0.0 255.255.128.0     next     edit "BC - United States - 137.139.0.0/16"         set uuid b4eb494e-5c67-51e9-42ac-36d9851b84e2         set color 25         set subnet 137.139.0.0 255.255.0.0     next     edit "BC - United States - 21.0.0.0/8"         set uuid b4f7fd92-5c67-51e9-94eb-798bb2186b0d         set color 25         set subnet 21.0.0.0 255.0.0.0     next end ==   I have put the policy at the very top of the list. However, when I try accessing FortiGate from a blocked IP address (from home), I can still can ping, and get through and no traffic were recorded to the policy log. Am I missing any steps or is there any other way?  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys.   Fortigate 100E v6.0.3 build0200 (GA)  
14 REPLIES 14
andre_amaro
New Contributor II

Hello philv,

I do not understand exactly what you want to do. Do you want to block a specific IP that accesses your environment or prevent access to firewall management over the internet?

philv
New Contributor

I'm simply trying to block China, Russia, external IP's, etc. from pinging, accessing our website, accessing any ports. Or getting through our firewall.

Thanks for the quick reply...

seadave
Contributor III

We create an Address Group called Block_Countries_In (we also have one for outbound).

We add GEO Addresses to that Group.  It is always good to keep your groups of the same type.  Don't mix, FQDNs, GEOs, etc.  I think that might be your issue.  Create two unique groups, maybe even two polices.  One for GEO and one for Subnets.  Make them your first policies or near the top of your rule set.

Here is our show full policy (we are on 6.0.3) for our GEO block rule:

config firewall policy edit 27 set name "In WAN1 - Deny GEO" set uuid d0b57172-a271-51e4-867d-3eaf7fdb3219 set srcintf "port9" <----- This is WAN set dstintf "port1"  <------This is LAN set srcaddr "Block_Countries_In" set dstaddr "all" set internet-service disable set rtp-nat disable set learning-mode disable set action deny set status enable set schedule "always" set schedule-timeout disable set service "ALL" set dscp-match disable set logtraffic all set logtraffic-start disable set np-accelation enable set session-ttl 0 set vlan-cos-fwd 255 set vlan-cos-rev 255 set wccp disable set natip 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 set diffserv-forward disable set diffserv-reverse disable set tcp-mss-sender 0 set tcp-mss-receiver 0 set comments '' set block-notification disable set replacemsg-override-group '' set srcaddr-negate disable set dstaddr-negate disable set service-negate disable set captive-portal-exempt disable set ssl-mirror disable set scan-botnet-connections disable set dsri disable set radius-mac-auth-bypass disable set delay-tcp-npu-session disable set send-deny-packet disable set match-vip enable next end

We do the opposite for traffic outbound to hostile nations.  You need both to be secure.  Of course IPs can be spoofed, but like you said, this cuts out a lot of the chaff and scan bots that are always knocking.

TecnetRuss

The reason it isn't working, and this is not intuitive, is that for NAT WAN to LAN policies the destination has to be a VIP even for Deny rules (destination = any won't work) unless you use the "set match-vip enable" setting as shown in SeaDave's config.

So, you can either change your Destination from "any" to the VIPs you want to block from receiving this traffic, or you can add "set match-vip enable" to your policy.

Russ

sw2090
Honored Contributor

In addition to Russ:

also keep an eye on the order of your WAN to LAN Policies because policies are checkt in this order and the first one that matches the packet wins it meanig any policy coming behind that policy will not be hit!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

and lastly:

to protect the FGT itself, create Local-In policies with these address groups. Will control access to all open service ports like HTTPS, SSH, SSLVPN, IPsec.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
philv
New Contributor

Thanks, I'll try this... I'll let you know how it goes.

philv
New Contributor

YESSSS! IT WORKED!!!   I didn't want chosen countries accessing my network... And your solution worked, thanks seadave. This was what I was looking for.   I created separate unique address groups as you mentioned. Block_Countries_In Block_IPRange_In Block_Subnets_In == And created separate unique firewall policies, and moved to the top, top of my rule set.... "In WAN1 - Deny GEO" "In WAN1 - Deny SUBNETS" "In WAN1 - Deny IPRange"   I'm beginning to see traffic being recorded to the policy log. See attachment...   It already blocked the following: 77.40.38.239 (Russia) attempting to use application SMTP 118.40.248.5 (South Korea) using application RDP 163.172.89.23 (France) using application HTTP, HTTPS 60.191.38.77 (China) attempting to use application HTTP, HTTPS   It also worked for "In WAN1 - Deny IPRange". I tried my home IP, and it worked. However, I'm still able to ping the firewall from home. Is there away to block pinging from specified countries and IP's?   And lastly, ede_pfau mentioned the following: "to protect the FGT itself, create Local-In policies with these address groups. Will control access to all open service ports like HTTPS, SSH, SSLVPN, IPsec."   How do I do this? What are the CLI commands?   Thanks ==  
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

That is available in the GUI as well, if you make it visible:

System > Feature Vis. > (right column) Local In policies

Ping to the FGT belongs to the services a FGT offers, so you can block it via Local In policy. As well as IPsec, SSLVPN, CAPWAP, telnet, ssh, HTTPS...

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors