Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
elek5555
New Contributor

Basic setup for Fortigate setup and testing

My company wants me to get a Fortigate 40f to work on and study for the Certification exam. The product is not that expensive but then there is the 1 Year 24x7 FortiCare and FortiGuard Unified (UTM) Protection that adds a lot.  My question is:

Do I need that just to study for the exam and to practice getting used to the Fortigate setup?

3 REPLIES 3
Markus
Valued Contributor

Hello, and welcome to the Forums. Let's say... it depends on what exactly (exam) you want to achieve. If you have worked with FG and UTM before, it may not be necessary. If you are new to Forti, you should be familiar with the UTM features for NSE 4. So yes, you need subscription to get familiar with all the features. But for this, a 30E is also enought (about 150 bucks lower with utm then 40F). Good luck...

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
elek5555

Yes I am new to Fortinet. My company wanted someone certified in NSE4 and they are installing Fortigate 40f devices. I have studied the free online guides and Labs, but I am a hands on learner. Thank you for your advice
Markus
Valued Contributor

Ok, if you want to achieve NSE 4, you have to complete FG course level 2 and pass the exam. As you are new to Forti, I would recommend to start with Forti course level one. It's possible to jump in to FG2, but thats thought if you are not familiar with FG. You say that your company go with 40F, they should give you the possibility to learn with this HW and/or buy one for you. Maybe I'm wrong, but from my site, I did a agreement with my boss, I get a 61F for labor and testing (running in my home) to do the certification. The benefit for them (and for me) are, I have payed and organized my certifiation for NSE 4 and, on other hand, get my Forti for learning (and of course to protect my home environment) . So it was a Win-Win for both... Maybe some thoughts for you...

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors