Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
spanz
New Contributor III

BGP Backup link configuration

Hi,

Im running 600e appliance in my main branch.
All branches connected with MPLS and doing NAT to the internet from the main branch.

Last week I configured BGP with my ISP and advertised all the local subnets in my MPLS topology, and so far everything works fine.

The ISP just installed a secondary backup link for the BGP and another pair of IP addresses (customer IP, and ISP neighbour IP for me to set)

I'd like to know how should I configure the backup BGP link, I want to make sure the Fortigate uses only the primary link when they are both available.
I'm supposed I have to change costs or something ?

Very much appreciate,
Thanks.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm assuming you're running BGP on MPLS side only. There are multiple ways to choose from BGP attributes to differentiate multiple paths, but it has to be supported/passed through by your MPLS network provider. You have to ask them what can work with them.

But most common way is using communities: advertising community:1 (or no community) on the primary, then community:2 on the secondary. The receiving side sets local-preference higher (default is 100) on community:1 (or no community) routes then sets lower local-preference (like 99) on community:2 routes, so that the primary routes are always preferred.

There are many examples if you search on the internet. Even examples for other types of routers would be applicable after you translate syntax to FortiGate's.  It's that common to use BGP this purpose.

Again, you need to ask your provider if they can pass community through their network. Some of them don't pass them on their edge routers.

Toshi 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm assuming you're running BGP on MPLS side only. There are multiple ways to choose from BGP attributes to differentiate multiple paths, but it has to be supported/passed through by your MPLS network provider. You have to ask them what can work with them.

But most common way is using communities: advertising community:1 (or no community) on the primary, then community:2 on the secondary. The receiving side sets local-preference higher (default is 100) on community:1 (or no community) routes then sets lower local-preference (like 99) on community:2 routes, so that the primary routes are always preferred.

There are many examples if you search on the internet. Even examples for other types of routers would be applicable after you translate syntax to FortiGate's.  It's that common to use BGP this purpose.

Again, you need to ask your provider if they can pass community through their network. Some of them don't pass them on their edge routers.

Toshi 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors