Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
micahawitt
New Contributor III

AP issues

Hi all, Currently i have a 60D-WIFI-POE 5.2.0 along with a 221B AP also running 5.2. I am not a wifi genuis, know enought o be dangerous, i seem to have issues where wifi clients will attach to the ap, yet after a few minutes can not communicate with them even though connected. Is there something with in the AP profile i should be doing? I cant really seem to find a best practice for AP along with local radios to handle both. Any input would be great. Thank you
13 REPLIES 13
micahawitt
New Contributor III

Hey all, Sorry for being MIA and thank you all for the responses! I will be checking this in the next day or so and update. As far as resources, i know the firewall itself is low, 0-5% cpu and 40-50% RAM. for the AP itself, i will have to see. I changed the DHCP option and will do some more testing. This up coming weekend i will have a lot of time with it to see. Thanks all again and stay tuned!
Domm
New Contributor

I may have an answer for you. I opened a case with Fortinet and also a case in the fortiwifi section of the forum and someone answer me with an answer https://forum.fortinet.com/FindPost/111419 apparently there is an interim firmware build that can fix roaming issue on the FAP221 and 223. The installation looks to not be as easy as regular firmware because I mention that to the guy from Fortinet support and he confirmed about this firmware and gave me the how to install (I didn' t tried yet). this is what I got from support: We do have an interim build 6119 on our internal site. It does seem to resolve a roaming issue : Fix delay for PCs connecting to lan port after moving. Please note, interim builds are " as is" and are not supported. This fix will be out in version 5.0.0 b70 as was stated on the post. If you do wish to attempt the interim build, here is how to revert the AP if required : 1)FAP Firmware upgrade through FGT CLI:- 1) Load the FortiAP image on a TFTP server 2) From the FortiGate CLI type below command:- exec wireless-controller upload-wtp-image tftp <fap-image-name> <tftp-server-ip> 3) Verify the uploaded firmware image using below command:- exec wireless-controller list-wtp-image 4) Upgrade the AP from CLI. Use all to upgrade all APs or type specific serial number exec wireless-controller reset-wtp <all | SN> 5) From the GUI validate that all access points are running the new software. 2)FAP Firmware upgrade directly through FAP serial console:- 1) Load the FortiAP image on a TFTP server 2) Connect the FortiAP to a separate private switch or hub or directly connect to your computer via a cross-over cable. 3) Change your computer’s IP address to 192.168.1.3 4) Telnet to IP address 192.168.1.2. This IP address is overwritten if the FortiAP is connected to a DHCP environment.Ensure that FortiAP is in a private network with no DHCP server for the static IP address to be accessible. 5) Login with username: admin and no password. 6) Type the following command replacing <tftp-server-ip> with 192.168.1.3 restore <fap-image-name> <tftp-server-ip>

Sean_Toomey_FTNT

Hi Domm, I correlated this information internally, and while I cannot speak to specific dates, the FortiAP 5.0.8 GA release is due very soon. Interim patches are indeed not recommended unless your problem is severe enough that there is no workaround. The process of loading the firmware is more or less identical to loading any other firmware. The easiest way I' ve found to do that is to go to the FortiGate to Managed AP' s, select your AP' s, Upgrade Firmware and hand it the file. I have done both upgrades to and downgrades from Interim versions this way. I believe the procedure listed above is the official way so YMMV with my method, but essentially you' re doing the same thing in CLI that the GUI will do. Hope this info helps. Cheers!
-- Sean Toomey, CISSP FCNSP Consulting Security Engineer (CSE) FORTINET— High Performance Network Security
Sean_Toomey_FTNT

Just an update, 5.0.8 GA for FortiAP is officially released now.
-- Sean Toomey, CISSP FCNSP Consulting Security Engineer (CSE) FORTINET— High Performance Network Security
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors