Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
random_guy
New Contributor III

ADVPN - Spoke config - redundancy

Currently running an ADVPN (BGP) with a couple dozen spokes. All the spokes are a single WAN connection. Now one of the sites wants to add a redundant WAN connection. There are two hubs at the 'hub' so if ISP 1 at the hub goes down, the spokes failover to Hub ISP 2. On the spokes, the backup hub monitors the first hub. How can I add a 3rd advpn connection from the spoke which would use spoke WAN2 if spoke WAN1 fails? 

edit "ADVPN-PRIMARY"
    set interface "wan1"
    set peertype any
    set net-device enable
    set proposal aes128-sha256 aes256-sha256 aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1
    set add-route disable
    set dpd on-idle
    set wizard-type spoke-fortigate-auto-discovery
    set auto-discovery-receiver enable
    set auto-discovery-shortcuts dependent
    set remote-gw <ISP1 at HUB>
next
edit "ADVPN-BACKUP"
    set interface "wan1"
    set peertype any
    set net-device enable
    set proposal aes128-sha256 aes256-sha256 aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1
    set dpd on-idle
    set wizard-type spoke-fortigate-auto-discovery
    set auto-discovery-receiver enable
    set auto-discovery-shortcuts dependent
    set remote-gw <ISP2 at HUB>

1 Solution
distillednetwork

I just assumed you were using SD-WAN since the tunnels were named ADVPN.  If you are just using routes and the fact the tunnel is up/down to control the traffic, you don't have to then, but SDWAN will give you a lot more control and monitoring capabilities.

You can create the two new tunnels I mentioned but use the option "set monitor <primary tunnel name>".  This will keep the tunnel down unless the primary tunnel specified goes down then it will try to build the tunnel on the secondary interface.  Its a slower process then if the tunnel was always up, but should accomplish the goal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
distillednetwork
Contributor III

You will need to create two more tunnels like the one you have that use:

set interface "wan2"

(or what ever the second wan port is).  Then your policies will have four vpn overlay tunnels for SD-WAN rules.

random_guy

Is SDWAN required on the spoke for this setup? I also don't want the backup connection to be in use unless the primary fails. 

distillednetwork

I just assumed you were using SD-WAN since the tunnels were named ADVPN.  If you are just using routes and the fact the tunnel is up/down to control the traffic, you don't have to then, but SDWAN will give you a lot more control and monitoring capabilities.

You can create the two new tunnels I mentioned but use the option "set monitor <primary tunnel name>".  This will keep the tunnel down unless the primary tunnel specified goes down then it will try to build the tunnel on the secondary interface.  Its a slower process then if the tunnel was always up, but should accomplish the goal.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors