Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MCORLOU
New Contributor II

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

Hello, 

for one of my recipient i'v these error? 

As i understand, the starttls command is not sended in first during the SMTP dialog. 

Could you tell me how can i force starttls first? 

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to duo-mailin.datev.de.:
>>> MAIL From:<xxx.yyy@codonplop.com>
<<< 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first, servertime=May 07 14:41:23, server=idvduomailin01.services.datev.de, client=63.xxx.xxx.xx
530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first, servertime=May 07 14:41:23, server=idvduomailin01.services.datev.de, client=63.xxx.xxx.xxx

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @MCORLOU 

That's strange because FML uses STARTTLS by default. Probably some issue from your recipient side?

Which FortiMail version are you using?

Mail delivering

There is no global setting to control how TLS is used when the FortiMail unit delivers emails to the next hop receiving MTA. By default, it uses STARTTLS "preferred" option which means:

• If the receiving MTA supports STARTTLS, the FortiMail unit will use TLS and transmit emails in the protected session.
  • If the receiving MTA does not advertise STARTTLS, the FortiMail unit will use clear text SMTP session to transmit emails.
  • If the receiving MTA supports STARTTLS, but the TLS session does not succeed, the FortiMail unit will fall back to the clear text SMTP session to retransmit emails after the third failed attempt.

Ref:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.4.2/administration-guide/807960/fortimail-support-of-...

AEK
AEK
MCORLOU
New Contributor II

Hello, 

i always have my problem.

is there any way to see MTA log in fortimail to help to debug ? 

Thanks

AEK

Hi

Yes, you open menu Monitor > Log > History, then you search for the affected session then you click on its Session ID field.

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors