Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rizo
New Contributor

200d vs 300c

hi all .

i dont know if this is the right place , but i try .

i have a fortigate 300c and i am consider to bring in a 200d unit instead.  if i buy the 200d i get in a close range price 3 year coverage  , and the 300c is looks like overkill in my environment.

i have around 90-120 users (50 voice traffic 50 regular "internet" traffic)  and in the top scale we can reach 150 users.

i try to compare this 2 models but didn't find the exact + and - to determine which model to go for .

the big dilemma of course is:

if the 200d is not a big downgrade that effect my network - take in mind 300c for small network like mine 90 users is  more than i can ask for:)).

is there anyone who have grater experience to point out the main element to consider when choosing between this models ,and overall recommendation for my network - stay with 300c? or move to 200d ?

5 REPLIES 5
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

It really depends on the level of UTM you are wanting to apply. If you are only doing UTM from inside to the internet then I would size based on your internet connection speed.

If not, and you are applying UTM between vlans etc internally, the throughput you are pushing across vlanA to vlanB will be the determining factor.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
rizo

hi mike , thanks for your replay.

basically the UTM features is apply to outgoing traffic only as you mention on your response.

but i applying the utm policy based on vlans as well .

the vlan network is "flat" meaning  internal traffic is routed between all the vlans open wide.

i try to work with reports from the analyzer referring to  total bandwidth and cpu & memory utilization so i can have bigger picture about the actual load of the unit in certain Time period (1 month for example).

on the network perspective  i still didn't  find a way to monitor or gathering the info ( not sure what shuld i focus on ) needed for better decision-making means that :

i need a way to detarming firewal throughput needs base on the actual firewall unit ...not fully undersatnd "firewall throughput " meaning ? and how to find how much  i use  and need the new unit to support ( i belive this is the key factor ).

because main parameter like : number of sessions vpn tunnel traffic and factor similer to those that effect network bandwidth are Relatively low .

so is there a common way to gatther traffic in and out needs ? by find the key factor that make to unit work the most ?

i mean how do i know if it ips that make the pick ? or just standart traffice from spesific vlan?

i hope i was  understandable :)  and like to thanks you again for you time and explanation. 

ede_pfau

Now that the 200E is available I'd never consider to buy a 200D...tenfold performance for the same price.

Just my 2 cents...

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

ede_pfau wrote:

Now that the 200E is available I'd never consider to buy a 200D...tenfold performance for the same price.

Just my 2 cents...

Very true statement actually. 200E is boss and for some reason it keeps slipping my mind.

In regards to firewall throughput, it depends on the type of servers etc you have on your network and how they are configured. Chances are the 200E would be just fine for that.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
rizo
New Contributor

thats a good point ( we get a good price on the 200d - the reseller  try to get ride of the "old" models) but the 200d have support for 3-5 years somthing like that.

i take it in mind ans compere this models - thanks a lot for the help and the advices

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors