Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Using 2 active WAN port

hi, Would like to check is it possible to do this in Fortigate 100? I' ve 2 6M DSL broadband line, currently 1 is attached to WAN1 to provide internet service for the company, and I would like to put the other broadband line to WAN2. Is there anyway i can configure in Fortigate 100 to maximize the use of the internet bandwidth? example like combine the 2 WAN line to provide 12M bandwidth for the LAN users. best regards, lonlee
7 REPLIES 7
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hi ! You can only accomplish that with the use of let say bittorrent or a download manager. The problem is not the fortigate, but how TCP/IP works. lets say a user downloads a file from a FTP site, the fortigate uses WAN1 for its connection, and wan1 only have 6 mb, if you were to have a download manager then it could connect to the ftp site on wan2, and both connections could work together and take every other byte from the file, then you would receive 12 MB. however you can still use both wan connections, just set them up as usual, and be shure to give both static routes the same metric, dont forget to create firewall rules too =)

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Not applicable

Hi, So that' s means even if i have 2 WAN line connected, my LAN users will only able to enjoy 6M speed most of the time for during normal usage? They will not " feel" there is a significant increase of internet speed when this 2 lines is attached? thanks, lonlee
Not applicable

How did you configure the two internet lines in the FortiGate Config? I was told the best way to use two lines, is to split the internet down the middle, and assign one half to wan1 and the other half to wan2.
nsumner
New Contributor

The Fortigate can do WAN balancing (although it seems to do a somewhat poor job of it). If you have 2 6mb connections your users would have 12mbs avaliable. BUT NOT ON A SINGLE TCP/IP connection. In other words let us say you have 25 users. They currently share 6mb. If you enable load balancing and add another 6mb line they will share 12mb. If however your problem is that say user a loves to download stuff and he takes up the entire 6 and wants to dl faster simply adding another line will not help him. If he is downloading multiple files simultaneously that will help him. As Selective points out using a DL manager in most cases will establish multiple connections for the DL and therefore can balance across multiple WAN lines.
support12
New Contributor III

The correct is Load Share, and not load balance.
nsumner
New Contributor

Umm there are no clear definitions of these terms. Most people I speak to call this Load Balancing.
support12
New Contributor III

Load Balance is more complex. It take care on , bandwidth, connections, weight etc When the link is at 100 % ( example) load balance begin send more traffic thru other link Load share only send traffics based on routes no matter what the link is at 100 % ( example) utilization i will continue sending trafiic thru a full utilization link
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors