Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MBruck
New Contributor

Radius Auth to 2008 R2 NPS Failing

We have a Fortigate 111C working fine with a Windows 2003 NPS / Radius setup. The same environment is migrating to 2008 R2 Server and our testing of the Radius authentication on Server 2008 R2 / NPS is failing. We have the Fortigate setup in the exact same manner for this new NPS 2008 server, but the NPS server is failing with a reason code of 49. Is there a technical document that could show me what parameters are required on the Windows 2008 R2 NPS side to get it to work with my Fortigate box?
Michael Bruck
Michael Bruck
7 REPLIES 7
lmuir
New Contributor

Sounds like a problem with your connection request policy.
MBruck
New Contributor

Agreed, but I was hoping for more information on the setup on the NPS side (including connection request policy) details. The 2003 server setup was very much default if I recall and that one works perfectly, but as you likely know the 2008 setup has many more options and I' m assuming it' s not so " default" and that' s why it' s not working... Hence, the need for someone who already has this up and running to provide some feedback.
Michael Bruck
Michael Bruck
lmuir
New Contributor

By default there should be a policy called " Use Windows authentication for all users" status " enabled" , processing order " 999999" , source " Unspecified" . Day and time restrictions set to allow access at all times, and authenticating to this computer.
rocampo
New Contributor

Is this a clean install of Windows 2008 or you upgraded Windows 2003 -> 2008 ? We had the same issue like this using 802.1x authentication over wireless when the win2003 was upgraded to 2008.
MBruck
New Contributor

That did it! It' s working fine now! Thank you. rocampo: it was a new install.
Michael Bruck
Michael Bruck
Not applicable

I am having the same problem with NPS in server 2008 but this is a new install. I use NPS with our ciscos without issue but cannot get it to work with our Fortianalyzer. I don' t have the default policy that Imuir mentioned. Can you please share with me the settings you used to get it to work in your environment? Thanks
taheireem
New Contributor

MBruck wrote:
We have a Fortigate 111C working fine with a Windows 2003 NPS / Radius setup. The same environment is migrating to 2008 R2 Server and our testing of the Radius authentication on Server 2008 R2 / NPS is failing. We have the Fortigate setup in the exact same manner for this new NPS 2008 server, but the NPS server is failing with a reason code of 49. Is there a technical document that could show me what parameters are required on the Windows 2008 R2 NPS side to get it to work with my Fortigate box?

did you enable "Use Windows Authentication for all users" under "Connection Request Policies".Because the custom condition for NAS identifier or NAS IPv4 Address was not working.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors