Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nimmimp
New Contributor

NP1 , NP2, NP4 sessions

How many sessions can be handled by NP1 , NP2, NP4 sessions for Fortigate firewalls?

Also, what would be the sessions handled by main CPU of Fortigate 3810A and 3040B  ?

Regards

Nimmi 

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

That's a strange question but here's the answers;

I'm sure limits ( sessions )  exists for these NPs , but now on the  differences, you need to look at the total session and the session max setup. Just total alone serves no good measurement since sessions comes and goes and timeouts varies. The capacity of the network processor is what you really need to look at when you speaking thru-put.

[ul]
  • With a 3040B you have 10million  session for a barebone chassis but that means nothing in the real-world[/ul]

[ul]
  • A  3810A much less  at 2million session and again this number means absolutely nothing in firewall benchmark[/ul]

( remember thru-put and packet sizes )

Than you need to realize that not all ports in a 3040/3140B are accelerate and are actually stacked to difference NPs.

In a NP1 it's capacity is 2gigs, NP2 is 4gigs, &   NP4 is 40gigs ( some one please correct me if these numbers are wrong or have changed ) and the type and size of ethernet frames are limited based on the NP types.

http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/50/index.html#page/FortiOS%205.0%20Help/NP4-diagrams.078.06...

If my FTNT SE training was correct,  the  NP4 will be found in  models that have  10gige interface and for the 10gig  interfaces  SFP+ slots. What I've notice  if you have ports nailed to that NP4 you can achieve the max thru-put in the chassis over those ports but traffic across NP4 will not net you the same output.

What's your goal(s)? ( number of session, hardware  or content acceleration or interface qty/types )

ken

• PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    nimmimp
    New Contributor

Goal - 1.To verify the number of sessions handled by a NP1 , NP2 and NP4 processor.

2.No. of sessions handled by main CPU.

3.No. of accelerated ports in 3810 A with a 4 port (1 GE) ASM module and the type of NPs used .(I think 9 and 10            connected  to NP1 and ASM connected to NP2).

4.The no. of core in 3810 A and 3040B and if it is possible to dedicate a core for management purpose.

Regards

Nimmi 

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

I believe you need to talk to a local FTNT team for these  #s. As far cpu, and number of sessions you want to avoid the cpu as much as you can. Nobody can honest say what limit for traffic kicked to t he cpu and too many factors would come into play as to what the cpu can do.

The last part, I never heard  of anybody asking for a dedicate core for management.Once again what's the purpose of that?

You should  contact your sales team and ask for a POC with these 2 models if your interested in comparative data between the 2 imho. They will probably share non proprietary data  with you.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors