How to run FortiClient SSLVPN for Linux:
- Type the IP of FortiGate and port, username/password and select ‘Connect’.
- If the SSL VPN connection requires Proxy, certificate or other advance settings, select ‘Settings’.
- Under ‘Settings’, more SSL VPN profiles can be added by selecting ‘+’ button.
- If a certificate warning is displayed, select ‘Continue’ to proceed.
- Once connected, check which IP has been assigned by running ‘ifconfig’. The name of the interface is ppp0 and the routing table with ‘route’
- Run ./forticlientsslvpn_cli to display all available configuration options
- If the SSL VPN connection only requires username/password, run: ./forticlientsslvpn_cli --server <IP of the FortiGate>:<port> --vpnuser <username>.
- Press Enter and FortiClient will request the password for the username.
- If the connection is successful, a STATUS::Connected message will be displayed, otherwise if the password is incorrect, error ‘SSLVPN down unexpectedly with error:2’ will appear.