Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

OlofL
New Contributor

SD 8.1(-2-0) new functionality Automatic Radio Resource Provisioning (ARRP) any good?

I run two sites with MC1550/MC3200 controller with AP832i/AP822i.

I have had so much problems in Virtual Cell mode, so this is good news to me, I hope. I have so much management overhead hours in Virtual Cell mode. All other brands running in regular multi channel mode are working much better. It is hard to set all paramterers perfectly to get the controller to make roaming descisions well. I have had loads of different problems with controller making the wrong roaming descisions, clients disconneting, low bandwidth etc...

I see in new 8.1 System Director there is a new function called ARRP. This allows controller to set channel and power automatically, just like many other brands.

Has anyone successfully deployed this type of network with new System Director? Experiences? 

1 Solution
KishRedd
Staff
Staff

Hi Olof,

ARRP (Auto Radio Resource Provisioning - Auto channel allocation and Auto Power adjustment) is already deployed with one of our major customers in USA (a University in USA) since April. There are no known issues with this. Please note that ARRP is only available with MultiChannelArchitecture deployment right now. We have plans to bring this feature on Virtual Cell in future.

If you have difficulties with SingleChannel/Virtual Cell deployment please reach out to me or our customer support. SingleChannel/Virtual Cell technology is time tested and works exceedingly well with most of our customers which includes large university campuses, stadia, hospitals, hotels, cruise ships, shopping malls etc. 

- Kishore

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KishRedd
Staff
Staff

Hi Olof,

ARRP (Auto Radio Resource Provisioning - Auto channel allocation and Auto Power adjustment) is already deployed with one of our major customers in USA (a University in USA) since April. There are no known issues with this. Please note that ARRP is only available with MultiChannelArchitecture deployment right now. We have plans to bring this feature on Virtual Cell in future.

If you have difficulties with SingleChannel/Virtual Cell deployment please reach out to me or our customer support. SingleChannel/Virtual Cell technology is time tested and works exceedingly well with most of our customers which includes large university campuses, stadia, hospitals, hotels, cruise ships, shopping malls etc. 

- Kishore

OlofL
New Contributor

Thanks for reply, yes I have a ticket at Fortinet support already (Ticket # 1782038 and older ticket # 1618528). My problems in virtual cell has, as I said been different from time to time. 

How did they setup the ARRP? Are they using auto power option? The AP's I have are setup in a high density setting (in my opinion). It would seem logical to me that you should use auto power? Also, it would seem logical to enable 802.11r/k/v in a multichannel setup, so clients don't get sticky to the wrong AP in a high density setting.

KishRedd

Hi Olof,

I have sent you a mail. Also our customer support is liaising with you for your convenient time to assist you. Will take it further in the support thread over FortiCare.

Regards

RickKent

Hello Olof,

My name is Rickard Kenttä and Im working as SE at Fortinet.

I would like to get in touch with you and discuss the issues you are experiencing.

How can I contact you?

Best regards,

Rickard K