Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

dwilliams1979
New Contributor

How is throughput calculated?

I am trying to figure out how exactly the throughput numbers are calculated.  I've come across vendors doing it a couple of different ways.  Is it (in + out) + .... for all interfaces on the box?  Does it only count input our output?

5 REPLIES 5
mnantel_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi David,

When you says "throughput", are you referring to our datasheet specifications?

If so, then this is indeed cumulated in+out throughput through the unit, irrespective of the interfaces (well, thats not entirely true when factoring hardware acceleration, but thats more of a very high throughput question where NP saturation could occur).

--

Mathieu Nantel

Principal Presales Security Expert

-- Mathieu Nantel Systems Engineer / Conseiller Technique - Fortinet Montreal, QC

dwilliams1979

Yes, I was looking at the data sheets.  I understand they are under ideal conditions but I'm trying to wrap my head around some architecural aspects of a few different devices.  So if you have 200 Mbps of inbound traffic across 3 interfaces and 200 Mbps of traffic leaving 3 different interfaces, it would be calculated to have a total of 400Mbps of throughput at that time.  Is that correct?

mnantel_FTNT

We would not calculate bandwidth twice in the case of a flow incoming on an interface and outgoing on another, so the answer is in this case that 200Mbps inbound on one or more ports going outbound on one or more ports remains... 200Mbps :)

--

Mathieu Nantel

Principal Presales Security Expert

-- Mathieu Nantel Systems Engineer / Conseiller Technique - Fortinet Montreal, QC

dwilliams1979

Perfect!  Thank you Mathieu, your help is very much appreciated

PeteHarr1

avery good question