Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

isuru
New Contributor II

FortiSIEM - Agent "User Log" Feature

Hi,

I wanted to know more about the "User Log" feature in FortiSIEM Agents. I presume this feature is for collecting custom logs from the endpoints. If so, how do we go about configuring this?

The only explanation provided through documentation is as follows,

MessageImages_2acb451cae0a41178bed24d4e936e454.png
I wanted to know whether the below configuration is correct or not, also,if we are to troubleshoot issues related to that which event type to look in the phoenix.log file?

MessageImages_c47d7909bb4e416ab2ea0109ed877e55.png
Sample Custom log
MessageImages_5d7d4367e2b74f03aa033856fd2d8dd0.png
If the custom log has a dynamic value at the beginning of the log event (ex: timestamp) how to correctly configure the prefix? Does it support regex?

------------------------------
Cheers,
Isuru
Cheers,
Isuru Malawige
Cheers,Isuru Malawige
4 REPLIES 4
PartBhat
Staff
Staff

Windows agent is going to send the file to FortiSIEM, line by line. One line is 1 log. You need to write a parser using the keyword (that you define in User log configuration from gui) as the event recognizer. Within the parser you can define event type based on parsed values. Then you can query using that event type and parsed values. 

hope this explains. 

isuru
New Contributor II

Hi Partha,

Thanks for your insight. The parsing comes after this configuration. However, my concern is whether my configuration is correct or not. If not, what is the proper way to set it up?
Moreover, in a case where we cannot set a constant "prefix" value what the alternatives are?
The documentation does not provide any of this information unless we find the correct way by trial and error.
A simple example would help. This is the same for most of the configurations. Lack of information in the documentation.

Cheers,
Isuru
Cheers,
Isuru Malawige
Cheers,Isuru Malawige
PartBhat

here is an example 

log message in the file 

"this is a sample log1"
"this is a sample log2"

You configured "MyFavKeyword" in the GUI

Windows agent is going to add a header and keyword in the log and then send to FortiSIEM. So FortiSIEM will receive 

<136> Tuesday WIN-Host-FQDN <IP> AccelOps-WUA-UserLog MyFavKeyword this is a sample log1
<136> Tuesday WIN-Host-FQDN <IP> AccelOps-WUA-UserLog MyFavKeyword this is a sample log2

This may not be 100% exact but you can try it out.

I will ask someone to update docs in a few days

Partha

isuru
New Contributor II

Hi Partha,

Thanks again for your support. Understood now. I will test this out.

Cheers,
Isuru
Cheers,
Isuru Malawige
Cheers,Isuru Malawige